Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP! Broke a bolt off in the end of my crank!

I was putting an underdrive pulley on my crank today, and I was using a long bolt to pull it on. The pulley started going on, and I was putting some serious pressure on this thing, trying to get it to seat. Then all of a sudden the long bolt snapped down by the threated area... and I'm fucked. Can anyone tell me how to get this bolt out?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure if you could drilled and re-tapped while in the block, but being safe and rebalancing the crank and getting it out, I would think pull engine and remove crank? Never heard of this actually happening.

Sorry to hear that happened man
Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens all the time when using a long bolt to pull a pulley on with. That's why a threaded stud should be used instead. You have very few options and none are good. If you were able to use an easy-out and remove the broke piece, the threads are garbage now. You might can get a tap and fix the threads, you have nothing to lose. Your only other option is take the crank out and bring it to a machine shop.

Originally Posted by BlackSVT03
Never heard of this actually happening.