Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to make more clearance. (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to make more clearance. (pic)

Im going to get new rims in the next week or so, so i would like to lower my car. but i know if i do my duals are going to scrap every time i hit a dip in the road. I have borla xr=1 mufflers so they are pretty big around. I was thinking of beating the crap out of the under body of the car to make them fit better. especially where the seats are.

here is a pic with my old mufflers.

can i hit that with a big hammer or will it crack? or any other ideas how to make it so i can raise my mufflers.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe try some different hangers? Those seem to hang pretty low. It's hard to see from that shot how much more room you have before your XR-1s will be hitting the underside of the car.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have different hangers now and the mufflers around about 1/4" away from hitting the part of the car i circled. Hard to see but its where the rear seats are. Before the borla's i had a lot of room but they just weren't quiet enough for my daily driver.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The floorboard is very hard and will be a huge pain in the *** laying on your back trying to get a good swing. Besides, if you could raise the mufflers enough, how are you going to deal with the pipes coming from the headers? They will have to raised also to deal with the new angle. Why not do it right and run the pipes to the back of the car and put the mufflers back there. Much easier to do and it will be quieter in the car.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i actually just finished. Floorboard was very easy to bang out of my way. Got about another inch out of it. I wish i could go higher but now the hangers on the mufflers are holding me back.