Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon System?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon System?

I am buying a 99 SS with a Monsoon system, is the 6-speaker? 10-speaker? does it have a sub like the bose did? I know it has the 12-disc changer.

How can I tell which one it is?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
I am buying a 99 SS with a Monsoon system, is the 6-speaker? 10-speaker? does it have a sub like the bose did? I know it has the 12-disc changer.

How can I tell which one it is?
The Camaro's came with the 8 speaker Monsoon, Trans Am 's have the 10 speaker.

The Camaro Monsoon has subs, they are in the panels right behind the front seats. I believe the Bose setup only had one sub.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

The only real difference between the T/A's and Camaro's is the T/A's have seperate tweeters in the far hatch and in the front doors. The Camaro has a 4ohm tweeter powered seperate, but is attached the the front door 2ohm speaker, so looks like a coaxil, but isn't. Also, the T/A headunit has a eq. Some other things are different like the sailpanel subs on the Camaro are 2 ohm single input and the T/A dual voice coil.
I wasn't happy at all with the sound of the stock Monsoon system, after I added 2 10inch subs and a amp to run them I liked it a little better, then I added some infinity 62.7i's in the front doors(connect just like stock, dual input and 2 ohm) much much better highs and can turn them up to the max without distorting like the stock ones. I liked them so much I ran the far hatch speaker input to the sailpanel, put some infinity 62.7is in the sail and hooked up the sub input to the infinity woofer input and used the far hatch speaker wires to connect to the tweeter input on the 62.7i. I added sound deadening behind the sailpanel to increase bass and stop rattle(only about 2 square feet of eDead). I don't suggest the 62.7is in the sailpanel unless you have subs also, to counter the highs. The subs stock also distort bad when turned up on music with bass. Remember, before you go and add some speakers in the Camaro, be warned, the stock woofers are 2 ohm and most speakers will not sound that great, I hear people do mods on some alpines and make them work or you can use the Infinty 62.7is and they work with no modifications. I never could understand the odd setup in the Monsoon system instead of making it easy with all 4 ohm speakers like most cars. At least adding a aftermarket hu is simple as a install kit and wire harness, isn't like the bose system.