Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy From Pa with random question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy From Pa with random question

Im choosing my new car its either gonna be a 02 WS-6 or SS Camaro. Ive driven Automatic my entire life (22 years old) I was just wondering about Auto and Manual. I want a Manual or at least I think I do. I know its personal preferance but I mean how do you guys feel about Auto over Stick. I know alot of people are like dont get a car like that if its not stick and this and that. But I also dont know if Ill enjoy shifting all the time everyday for the rest of my life lol. Just looking for a few opinions
Old 06-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Where in Pa are you, Bethlehem here. I also know where there is a nice Trans Am sitting, well it looked good when I drove by. Any way on to your question. I personally prefer a manual trans. It sucks sometimes when you are stuck in traffic but on the highway imo it can't be beat. I think you will appreciate a 6 speed on the highway. Welcome to the board.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91 LS1 Z28
Where in Pa are you, Bethlehem here. I also know where there is a nice Trans Am sitting, well it looked good when I drove by. Any way on to your question. I personally prefer a manual trans. It sucks sometimes when you are stuck in traffic but on the highway imo it can't be beat. I think you will appreciate a 6 speed on the highway. Welcome to the board.

Im in Hamburg, in the middle of Reading and Allentown. Where would this TA be? Im looking at one in Pottsville atm and ebay. Im taking my time and waiting I know as soon as I settle for one, the one I really want will be for sale.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome to the site buddy and congrats on a great choice of cars. Haha asking the auto vs manual question will prob get a huge debate going but it comes down to a few basic things that are like you said all personal choice.
First off how are you gonna drive it? Is it going to be a daily driver or is it just going to be your track car? Will it see a lot of city driving or will it be mostly highway? Some people like rowing gears through the city but I find it to be a little tedious. At the track though manuals are a little more fun and I guess interactive would be the best word to describe it. You will also pick up a few more mpg in the manual as opposed to the auto.

As for the performance aspect of it they fall around the same. Stock vs stock a manual will be a little faster and make a little more power than the auto. When you throw a new torque converter on the auto they wind up being about the same and it all comes down to the driver. Manuals will almost always dyno at higher numbers than autos with the same mods due to the drivetrain loss.

Youve also got to look into whats going to need replaced in the car soon, mainly due to you breaking it. On autos, depend on how well it was taken care of, you might break somethin in the tranny and will prob be replacing the torque converter anyway. On a manual even bone stock it can still break the weak little ten bolt rear end. Its all up to you and what you think youll want, but you wont be disappointed either way
Old 06-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Welcome to the site buddy and congrats on a great choice of cars. Haha asking the auto vs manual question will prob get a huge debate going but it comes down to a few basic things that are like you said all personal choice.
First off how are you gonna drive it? Is it going to be a daily driver or is it just going to be your track car? Will it see a lot of city driving or will it be mostly highway? Some people like rowing gears through the city but I find it to be a little tedious. At the track though manuals are a little more fun and I guess interactive would be the best word to describe it. You will also pick up a few more mpg in the manual as opposed to the auto.

As for the performance aspect of it they fall around the same. Stock vs stock a manual will be a little faster and make a little more power than the auto. When you throw a new torque converter on the auto they wind up being about the same and it all comes down to the driver. Manuals will almost always dyno at higher numbers than autos with the same mods due to the drivetrain loss.

Youve also got to look into whats going to need replaced in the car soon, mainly due to you breaking it. On autos, depend on how well it was taken care of, you might break somethin in the tranny and will prob be replacing the torque converter anyway. On a manual even bone stock it can still break the weak little ten bolt rear end. Its all up to you and what you think youll want, but you wont be disappointed either way

Its gonna be my weekend/summer car/track car. I will be replacing the 10 with a 12 bolt rear. I have a jeep as my everyday driver and will baby this car aside from when its at the track.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Teching In

I was just out in Hamburg at the field house on Saturday for the reptile show and make frequent trips to Cabelas during hunting season. For what you are going to use the car for I would go with the manual trans, even at the track with practice you should become consistant with it. The car I saw is in Nazareth Pa, it actually may still be Bethlehem. If you bring 78 East into 22 East get off the 191 exit for Nazareth. You will go through 1 or 2 stoplights and there is a pretty good sized used car dealer on your right before you go up the hill, the building looks like a house.