Sponsored by:

RPMS Hanging while Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RPMS Hanging while Shifting

Hello,

My father has a 2002 Trans Am with 18K miles on it. Whenever my father and I shift the car, the rpms hang when we pull in the clutch. Its like the car is anticpating the shift. Is this normal.

Tilly
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car sometimes does that prior to being fully warmed up, then it mysteriously goes away, even before I put the cam in. After swapping my intake it used to do it a lot and the RPMs even rose, which was rather annoying, but nice for rev matching I'd say check for some leaks (air intake, vacuum, etc.). I know when I started seeing it more and more was after the battery was disconnected and the car had to "re-learn" the tune, if that makes any sense. After some miles (50-100) it went back to normal. They occasionally hang sometimes, but if I leave the clutch in eventually they do drop shortly thereafter. Also, if I'm coasting to a stop, the RPMs will hang a bit over 1k, then drop to normal when I fully stop. Good luck.

-J
Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

i've noticed that on a lot of ls1 m6 cars i have driven the rpms will hang for a little while right after you push the clutch in and shift makes it kind of hard to shift smoothly quite a different feeling going from my car to one like that because my rpm literally drops like a rock when i push in the clutch to shift
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine does that every once in a while. Usually they just hang in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift but after that they fall pretty quickly. It makes it tough to drive smooth sometimes. If your problem is pretty significant then you may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Quick Reply: RPMS Hanging while Shifting