Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leak From Band Clamps

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak From Band Clamps

Search is currently down and I cant find anything for my problem. I have TSP duals on my ta coming of of XS headers. At the point where the pipes connect to the X there is a major leak from the band clamps. The X is almost compleatly black especially on the inside. I have the wide clamps that are smaller for the insert pipe and larger for the pipe that recieves the pipe. All of the other clamps are holding tight w/o leaks and all bolts have been tightened and retightened since install. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to seal it a little better? Is there anything I can put under the clamps to stop the leaks? Thanks a lot in advance
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are the bolts even? i have the same setup...and they can get tight but sometimes they can be uneven......also they make a type of wrap that can help with exhaust leaks they sell it at autozone....lastly...just save some money and get them welded
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

This is exactly why I hate clamps and weld everything exhaust related
Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

The bolts look even but I never really looked that closly so Ill have to go check that. Ive seen things like tiger wrap and other exhaust wraps, but they all melt with the exhaust heat to adhear to the pipes/muffler/whatever your using it on. I wanted something I can just take off easily when I remove the pipes. Ive heard of some people putting aluminum foil on and wrapping it a couple of times then putting the clamp on over that and cutting off the excess. It sounds kind of like a home remedy and I wouldnt be to fond of doing it unless someone can vouch that it will work and wont mess things up. I think welding might end up being the route I take if I cant find anything else because the tick that the leak makes has grown to be very loud and annoying. Anyone else w/ any ideas let me know.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Launching!

band clamps are the suck they will always leak where you bolt them, i used some of that exhaust wrap stuff that fixes leaks, wrapped it around the pipes and put the band clamp over it and tightened it down as much as i could, let the car run for a little while so they would seal and cure..no leaks.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up welding my Hooker all together because the band clamps suck out loud.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my issue was with the uneven bolt and hand crankin it.... finally got the impact wrench SOBBBBBBB
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 PM

just get that whole system welded up and you will be much happier man
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Welding = predictable

Clamps = unpredictable
Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Header Wrap Or Alcan Foil...works Fine With Clamps...3" Band Clamps.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

I didnt really want to get it welded yet because I am probably going to lower the car in the future and get a pipe that will make it so it doesnt bang on the drivers side floor board. It will change the whole geometry of it so Id like ot just leave the clamps on for now. Will those two wraps definitely hold up to the heat coming out of the exhaust?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

I have the exact same problem. It is absolutely annoying! I tried the aluminum tape wrap method and it doesn't work that well. It works for a few days, then eventually the heat detoriates it. I'm saving up now to have my true duals redone with flanges on the header and x pipe. Trust me, this is the way to go.

Band clamps ftl!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I didnt really want to get it welded yet because I am probably going to lower the car in the future and get a pipe that will make it so it doesnt bang on the drivers side floor board. It will change the whole geometry of it so Id like ot just leave the clamps on for now. Will those two wraps definitely hold up to the heat coming out of the exhaust?
Go to AUTOZONE or wherever and get some quality HEADER WRAP----there should be no leaks at all if you wrap EVENLY....
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by waldershrek
This is exactly why I hate clamps and weld everything exhaust related
I have about 6 band clamps on my pacesetters, tsp y pipe and gmmg no leaks here.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

I havent had issues with bandclamps either. Yeah, you could weld it all up and it wouldnt leak, but then you'd never get them to slide off the headers, let alone get it back on if you somehow managed to pry them off. And adjusting the setup later on, yeah, you can forget about that too.

I like how I can crawl under the car, loosen a few bolts, and pull the entire setup out in mins. That's my .02
Old 06-12-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Brian, it's nice to be able to remove or adjust your system easily. I had my headers and y-pipe installed, and they used some type of gooey black crap on the joints, underneath the band clamps. When I pulled the y-pipe and put the correct one up, I just used the clamps and really tightened them down well. If this doesn't do it, I would use some foil. I can't see how it would deteriorate unless there was a really big gap.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the pipes lined up well? Are they slip fit or butt style? Slip fit is tend to leak less.

I usually coat the inside of the band clamps with a thin layer of copper RTV andthis seals it up pretty well. It may pose some danger to your o2 sensors though. I run open loop so it dosnt matter. Although it has not killed my wideband yet.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

welding= screwed if tranny takes a crap.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had leaks from my band clamps too. I used the wide ones with two bolts. Im guessing thats what you all are talking about. not only did I have leaks, but they didnt clamp well and the pipes kept shifting.

Welded everything I could and switch to v-clamps. THOSE dont budge or leak. Not to mention that they are easier to assemble/disassemble. I also heard that the band clamps can stretch, and after a few uses wont be able to clamp anymore. Not sure if its true...but there is some logic behind that.

J.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the XS headers and their y-pipe and I am using 3' band clamps and I dont have one single leak...well except for the 3' exhaust cut-out after the y

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak From Band Clamps