Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Manifold 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Manifold 1st Gen

I have a 68 firebird I was interested in doing a 5.3 or 6.0 in (cheaper to do a swap than an ls1). Was hoping someone could say definitively whether a factory vortec manifold and accessories will fit under a stock firebird (non-400) hood. Seems like something which has been tried many times and someone on this board could say. Searching the posts here I Get the idea that there is some extranous casting material on the top of the manifold which, if removed, could allow a factory hood to close. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Teching In

bump

Anybody? Bueller.... Bueller... Bueller...

Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3 manifold doesn't clear my 68 camaro flat hood. going to get a cowl hood.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

From what Ive seen the manifold wont clear the hood unless its a hi-rise. It would be eaiser to swap to an ls1 intake and sell the other. They are only $50 or so. The accessories should work expect for the a/c.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck accessories will also put the alternator very close to the hood.
Your best bet is to set the engine it place with a floor jack under the pan
and see what clears. You can usually move the engine around a little to get in
a spot with the best possible clearance.
Make note of the trans position before you move the engine forward or back so that
you know how much to alter the length of the driveshaft if needed.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your answers!

I don't mind changing the intake manifold, but I read some guys post saying if you change the manifold, you have to change the accessories (water pump, at least), fuel rail, and maybe the injectors, etc. True?

I'm trying to put together the most cost effective LS swap I can (just cause that's part of the fun, I'm cheap, and I have a 'vert so I'm satisfied with stock power), but if the money you save in an iron block truck motor is ate up in oil pans, accessories, intake, etc., then it's not worth it.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Hey Jaw,
Got any updates on how it all worked out? I'm in the process of doing the same swap.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by jaw0001
Thanks for your answers!

I don't mind changing the intake manifold, but I read some guys post saying if you change the manifold, you have to change the accessories (water pump, at least), fuel rail, and maybe the injectors, etc. True?

I'm trying to put together the most cost effective LS swap I can (just cause that's part of the fun, I'm cheap, and I have a 'vert so I'm satisfied with stock power), but if the money you save in an iron block truck motor is ate up in oil pans, accessories, intake, etc., then it's not worth it.
you can use the L92 water pump on that 5.3 and alleviate the need for the entire swap of the front accesories. Its about $170 I believe brand new. As long as you got all the correct fuel rails and injector pigtails, it would be an easy swap to put any "car type" manifold on it. The alternator will still be hanging way up in the air though...