Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems getting tranny back in (t56)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems getting tranny back in (t56)

Pulled the tranny yesterday to install my new clutch, and when we started back in with the tranny, we got it back in the clutch but could never get it to but up to the bell housing. Not sure if it was the dial pins that just wasn't lining up or what. I think it started into the pilot bearing but not 100% sure. At one point we had the driver side very close and lined up but the passenger side just would not go in. We shook it from side to side and also height adjusted ever direction possible but still no luck. So the tranny is still on the floor. Anybody got any ideas on what my problem is. Gonna try again in the morning. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try taking off the bell housing, and mount/bolt that first, then mount the trans. Did you use a clutch align tool?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Launching!

yup, make sure the clutch is positioned properly and that the slave cylinder quick disconnect stem is setting inside the cutout in the transmission for it. if all is well, push the tranny in as far as possible and try starting a couple bolts. should pull the transmission up to the bellhousing. if the bolts aren't long enough, buy a couple from the hardware store just to get it started. thats my experience so far anyways.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

yeah i used a clutch alignment tool, I will try these tomorrow. Thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent two hours under my car trying to align it and finally with a bunch of moving it around, it finally went all the way in. I think part of it is the srappy plastic aligment tool that is commonly used (I used one too!!!).
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Furious_George
yup, make sure the clutch is positioned properly and that the slave cylinder quick disconnect stem is setting inside the cutout in the transmission for it. if all is well, push the tranny in as far as possible and try starting a couple bolts. should pull the transmission up to the bellhousing. if the bolts aren't long enough, buy a couple from the hardware store just to get it started. thats my experience so far anyways.
This what I did also.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterock98
This what I did also.
Just make sure to be careful when u tighten the bolts, torque in an even pattern!!!!! I just had the same problem, I used the "torquing of the bolts" method, and i broke a tab off of my bellhousing, caused by excessive pressure on one of the upper bolts. I said f%( it, an just put it all back togther, now im missing one bolt out of the transmission, an it is driving me crazy, i don't want to do any hard pulls an have my transmission snap off an go rolling down the highway! Just have patience and GO SLOW!!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also make sure the quick disconnect line for the slave is not in the way.My brother helped me put the tranny back up and we hit the line lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can also try rotating the rear tail shaft a bit back and forth, it is possible you did not have the splines lined up.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

yeah i already got it back in and driving. Now just breaking that unit in. Thanks guys
Old 06-14-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

glad to hear man! I would have said use grips on the shaft and keep spinning it little by little, and I always use a foot...or 2 on the back of the tranny and it goes back in.

I've also done this 3/4 times...1st time i almost cried when i spent over an hour trying to get it to align up
Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some said to make sure you crack open the slave but mine seemed really hard seemed would align but just could not push that trans in that last inch or so. Now not sure if mine was harder since had the tex twin disc. I used the tool also.They say a real input shaft works best but where can you get one of those for cheap?
I know it was in the darn splines we put wrench on crank pulley and turned engine and the tailshaft of tranny output turned. We even tried putting driveshaft on back of trans and turning it. We tried to level the engine with jack, the tranny with jacks and we were paranoid about letting tranny hang .It was a nightmare .We spent hours two of us trying to get the tranny to go in 100% and it never did!
I put bellhousing on first. Finally said heck with it. Got longer bolts and pulled it in evenly I still think the darn spring pressure on the slave against the pressure plate was keeping it from going. The clutch seems to work ok and we didnt' break off any ears. So you are not supposed to pull it in but whatever I was not going to be there forever. And already retightened the darn discs a couple of times enough is enough.The plastic too might suck but it had to be in there reasonably close.

I am not going to lose any sleep that wrecked anything.But the job is a lot easier on an overhead.Doing it on the ground like I did really sucked.

Quick Reply: Problems getting tranny back in (t56)