Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to mount amp in spare well?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to mount amp in spare well?

What is the best way to mount an amp in the spare tire well? My spare is gone and the spot is open but I cant figure out a good way of keeping it steady. At the moment i just packed the space with Styrofoam from boxes to keep the amp from getting damaged. The problem is when my subs hit, the Styrofoam squeaks.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an idea

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/133032/6
Old 06-11-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm using some galvanized steel wrap (used for hanging pipes) to hold my amp board at an awkward angle -- I'm sure you could easily use something like this and a combination of nuts/bolts/screws to secure a board in there nicely.

For reference, the metal strips with the holes in it is what I used. Don't have pics of it with my board or anything, but so you at least know what I'm talking about -- it's seen in the pics below holding my exhaust up (don't worry....that was only a temp fix - haha).

Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

I mounted my amp on a board, then bolted it to the spot for the spare tire. No issues in 5 years. I didn't do it for looks, is just hidden, secure and does what I wanted it to do.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heres a few pics of mine.... definately not pretty, but like mentioned above, it gets the job done.

My car was actually broken into a while ago and the head-unit was stolen, and the interior was ripped apart, but they never did find the amps or hideaway unit... so seems it was worth the effort hiding them there. I managed to squeeze a cap, 2 amps, the master unit, and 2 distribution blocks in there, so thats why the wires are a mess! The other amp is actually running parallel to the TTop holders just underneath the Mmats amp, and is just held in by a couple of screws into the trunk area... so you could do that without having to go through the trouble of cutting some MDF if you just want something quick and easy.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

i am thinking of doing this to.i want to be able to put in 2 amps in.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

There is really alot of space in there for more than one amp. I did notice on my 02 in the well there was a small hole, looked like a possible drain...? I filled it in with some spray foam and a piece of aluminum, plus it helped keep everything that much more secure and keep from moving. Once you look in there, a few scrap pieces of wood and some bolts, should be easy to do. I would keep it from touching the rear fender though, a quick movement if it came loose and could leave a dent.

Quick Reply: How to mount amp in spare well?