General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Some Kind Of Noise When I Turn A/c On?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Kind Of Noise When I Turn A/c On?

I've had this noise ever since I got the car and I've replaced the compressor and accumulator since then. It's this sloppy rattling style noise and when I turn the A/C off it seems to go away. I thought it might be the idler pully down by the compressor. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id probably also say the pulley considering youve replaced the usual noise maker in the compressor
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transambrotha
I've had this noise ever since I got the car and I've replaced the compressor and accumulator since then. It's this sloppy rattling style noise and when I turn the A/C off it seems to go away. I thought it might be the idler pully down by the compressor. Anybody have any ideas?
Pulley may be bad, yes. But also see if the bolt that holds the A/C tensioner pulley is loose/stripped, not the fixed pulley, the bottom one. If it is it will slowly become mis-aligned. Mine was stripped from taking the pulley on and off a few times and would come loose in just a couple days after tightening it, my lower A/C belts were coming off after just a day or two of driving. My friend at the dealer drilled it out and put a steel sleeve in for me, its better than before, considering its a steel screw going into an aluminum block.

Compressors also make wierd noises when they're failing. Mine did.

Search this Thread