Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

lol a lil worried

Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lol a lil worried

alright well i got my system in my car installed by bestbuy and it sounded great. I have my subthump box my 5ch amp and alpines in the doors along with rockford speakers in the sail. Well wen i was driving and bumping my music loud and crazy i noticed my doors started smoking so i lowered the volume being a little worried. Things were good for awhile but then my right rockford speaker in the sail blew after just 3 weeks. It ended up dieing and i couldnt hear the scratchy sound from the speaker anymore. I never really heard the door speakers from the install really, it was always basically just the 2 sail speakers and the sub. I was listening to music the other day and all the speaker just kinda made a loud sound and then next thing i know i have no music comin out of any speakers. My system still plays and my sub still thumps but no speaker action. I have a warantee on my alpines but not on the rockfords in the sails. I just had the system for 3 weeks do you think its possibly the fuse? Im really not trying 2 buy new speakers but how is it possible for me to have blown 4 speakers in 3 weeks, especially considering the fact i never really heard the door speakers from the get go?
any ideas on what i should do and how many curses should fly outta my mouth when i get 2 best buy? The whole smoking thing worries me the most
Old 06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Launching!

anybody??
Old 06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

You had smoke coming out of the doors and didn't turn off the radio and yank the panels to see what was burning?

Then you continued to use the system in this damage state until the rest of it failed?

Either start tracing everything looking for what is damaged or take it back to Best Buy and have them do it.

You should have taken it back to them as soon as problems arose.

It could be burnt wires, blown speakers, blown fuses, blown amps, blown crossovers, blown headunit, or all of the above.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-12-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would have been a blown crossover and since that didn't get fixed, now it's a blown head-unit as well. Hard to say for sure of course... I agree with VIP1, either pull the panels and figure out what's going on or go to Bestbuy and have them do it.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinID
blown crossover
I forgot about that.
I added it to the list.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't tell Best Buy that it's been like that for weeks! Take it back and see if they will fix it. Is there any sort of warranty that came with them?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, what wonderful work from Best Buy

Go back to Best Buy, get your speakers replaced, get your money back for the installation, take your car somewhere else, and never let Best Buy touch it again.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Launching!

well no matter what i have a warantee on the headunit and the alpines in the front. They tried telling me over the phone that it might be a faulty amp, but i doubt it, that amp threw out loads of power and is still driving that sub fine. The amp would however tend to turn off on real real hot days if the volume was too loud, most likely because of overheating. Im an idiot because once the smoke thing happend i should of done all the things you guys mentioned but I was lazy and ignored it. Then when my speaker blew i should of diconnected it from the rest of the system. Now im just in a pile of problems, hopefully just blown speaker problems.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

I thought Best Buy installed it all and I thought that's where you bought all the stuff?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Best Buy did install everything, i bought everything from bb except the amp, sub and the box. The speakers, wire, and headunit were all purchased from the store. I didnt get a warantee on everything though because i figured my speakers would last, i just got the warantee on the alpine speakers and the headunit. The definite shot rockfords are done as for the alpines who knows maybe a fuse blew out and maybe i really just have 1 dead speaker... Im gonna see if changin fuses does anything... if i just need new speakers, my friend works for circuit city and can get them for me 50 percent off. But then again if i can get them free from the warantee well then problem solved.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There should be a manufacturer warrenty on the speakers.
Best Buy should also have some kind of 30-day warrenty at least on their installation. My guess is installation error, not a "faulty amp," which just so happens to be one of the things you didn't buy from them so they'll try to screw you out of all that equipment they F'd up.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:40 AM
Launching!

well then me and bb are def gonna have some words cuz im not payin 4 they're mistake. frieken retards i doubt its the amp 2, its not a fuse either because i looked at it yesterday and it seems 2 be fine, unless theres another fuse somewhere that i missed but that big fuse under the hood is fine and there is none attached 2 the amp.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 AM
12 Second Club

wow another great best buy install story have seen a few people have trouble with BB installs
Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best buy has a lifetime garuntee on their labor... and you have a 30 day garuntee from best buy and 90 days to a year on all the product through the manufacture take it back and get it fixed and next time try circuit city...
Old 06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

Or do it yourself. I have had more issues with my friends cars after they took it somewhere to have something installed and I end up having to fix someone elses mistakes. To me it sounds like installer error on a big scale.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you touch anything besides the HU after the install? If they screwed something up -- they have to fix it... but if you messed with the gains on the amp or anything like that, that voids any install warranty -- I think they may put some colored hot-glue wax or something over the amp controls so that they know if you touched them... (I hear CC does that -- IDK about BB).
Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Launching!

nah didnt touch anything but the h/u soo we'll see what happens i just dont wanna pay for their mistake.. im makin an appointment this week so i'll let ya guys kno what happens
Old 06-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Hey guys listen what best buy told me they told me my amp is on its way out and thats why my speakers all blew out its a power acoustic 5 ch amp... and 2 really top it off and **** me off they said they couldnt find my warantee on the computer.. soo i basically left and told them to go F*ck themselves and then i went to another car audio place 2 get a second opinion. Thankgod i have a 1 year warantee thru the comany for speakers if I send them back in. The second car audio place told me it looked like a speaker grounded out and it was the fault of an installer. Thus being the reason why the other speakers arent working. He said to make an appointment and it would cost 50 dollars for them to run all the tests but he said that those 4 speakers shouldnt of blown at the same time and he has never heard of anything like that especially with alpines and rockfords. he said the speaker had to have been grounded wrong. He told me to check each individual speaker and see if any of them go on and showed me how to do it with the amp. He thinks the amp is fine and i really hope it is what do you all think i should do and do you think i can make bestbuy give me free speakers, this way i dont have to send them back into the company?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Launching!

sooo do you think i can get free speakers because they messed up if i can prove it was their mess up? and also do you think i should spend 50 dollars 2 get it checked out without having the new speakers yet? I dont know whose right and whose wrong but i just dont trust bestbuy, at least this guy at the caraudio shop told me how to test it and stuff thats more than what i can say about bb. Ya neva kno it mite be the amp but thats frieken horrible considering i spend like 700 dollars 2 get a system put in that only seemed to last a month and a half. The guy at bb said the smoking was the coil from a speaker from blasting it i guess, what would you guys do?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Help? Ne1

Search this Thread