Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

whats the best way to wash a black car !?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best way to wash a black car !?

i got a black z. the front end looks like i bug graveyard!! ive been bombed by birds, and every car wash i use drys streaky or spotty .
what is the best car wash to use with black?
how do i get rid of the bug marks?(its like a haze in the paint?)and bird crap haze?
i know everyone will say zaino for this ? but i need to get it pretty tomorrow so whats my best alternative for waxing this thing? its only got 5000 miles on it so id hate to get it detailed. this is my first and last black vehicle! ive always had white and talk about EASY! any insight and tips are well welcomed! thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: whats the best way to wash a black car !?

Best advice on washing a black car is, don't. When I was my black Z28 (it's been atleast a year) I use duragloss 903 car wash and a 100% cotton wash mit washing from top to bottom. Then finish off by drying with some sort of microfiber type drying towel. "The Absorber" works. Most of the time I just use my california car duster and my Zaino polish and 100% cotton towels. Washing a black car leads to swirl marks and small scratches that become very noticeable. Good luck.

-Andy
Old 05-04-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a good car wash from your auto store, dont use dish soap. And wash it at night, it doesnt have to be pitch black dark, but just let the sun go down, i wash mine around 8pm and in the morning she is spotless. Except during the pollen season. Right now it looks like a bumble bee.
Old 05-04-2003, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Try to steer clear of hard brissel brushes too. They'll leave fine scrachtes all over the place.

We use hand mats to wash the black cars, then wipe 'em down w/ a chamois (or however ya spell it). And theres no streaking, and no nothing. And for the bird, bug reminents, we use the degreaser, and they come right off. Usually tho, w/ the handmats, it may take a good bit of scrubbing, but the degreaser eats right thru that crap.

Just take your time, and try not to use anything too harsh, or hard when washing it, and the scraches you see will be minimal.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THANKS GUYS. any peticular brands better than others? also when you say decreaser do you have any product names? no the decreaser removes the wax also correct? so i will have to rewax? sorry for the dumb *** ?'s but im just trying to to put as much swirls and stuff in it. man my whit cars are easy. my fiberglass hood gets painted on the 12th so maybe ill just give it a basic was and spent the extra 130 and have it detailed. thanks for the advice. one more ? being a black car driven from end of april to early october how many coats of wax minimal should i be appling to help keep my finish up? thanks again!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use Meguiars on my black Z, and I get very nice results. More and more people are using Zaino now, but I don't got extra cash burning through my pockets right now. Also, I only wash my car 2x a year, and polish and wax it. It takes me a whole day to do the whole thing, but the results are worth it IMHO .

As for how many coats of wax to do, I say if you got the time and nothing else to do, knock yourself out putting wax on the car (I do 2 coats). Just remember to always use 100% cotton terry cloth towels. I'm not sure about microfiber towels, my friend used them on his black car and it got real swirly . Of course his car is an Acura and ours is a Chevy, so probably our cars have a helluva lot better quality.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I've found that the secret to removing the bug splat from the front end is to get to it immediately if possible. If you let it bake in the sun it seems to impregnate itself into the paint. I've had good luck with Turtle wax car washing solution but I use a little higher concentrate than what it calls for. I use warm water and I'll get an old towel and soak it in the soapy water and lay it over the offending area for a few minutes to soak. Then I use a regular cotton wash rag to remove the guts. For the stubborn ones I use 3M Adhesive & Wax Remover. Just remember to use the remover on the whole section because hence the name Wax Remover you will need to rewax that area with whatever wax you're employing. I usually wax my car every other time I wash it and I always put a coat of wax on the frontend every wash job. I don't want to knock anyones products but I've put my car up against a friends high dollar Z wax job and you can't see any difference. I use the Professional Automotive Paint Sealant that they put on for me at the dealership. Works for me. Hope this helps. Later.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Panty hose does a good job of getting rid of stuck on bugs. I did it on a car i didnt care about so I dont know if it leaves small scratches. But it worked really well
Old 05-08-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Naw, i dont think the degreaser removes the wax. But, i can ask my boss about it tomorrow @ work. And we've got some industrial stuff, so it comes in big barrels, so giving you a name may not do any good.

But, on the cars @ the house, we've always used Meguiares or however ya spell it. But, @ work, i dont really know what we use, but it works just as good as anything else ive ever tried out. Havent done the zaino thing yet, havent found a place that sells it. But one of these days, i'll pick it up and see.

Quick Reply: whats the best way to wash a black car !?