Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Interior door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior door panel removal?

For an '02...any tips on this? I found one article (http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Instal...DoorPanel.htm), I was able to get 4 of the bolts out...but the last one, the one furthest to the left, I can't seem to get out. Any tips on getting this one?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are screws, not bolts. It's in there at a retarded angle. Use a fat headed phillips to insure it doesn't slip off. You should post in the body section if no one here replies with help. I sure know this wasn't much help :\ That caused me the most hassle too, but it's just a screw
Old 06-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok step by step remove window and lock swithces held in by pressure clips then unscrew the plastic behind handle and remove it. the little triangle piece by your mirror has a small screw remove it and it pops off. Remove a screw behind the panel one in the bottom middle of the door in that packet and one on each side of the door handle. You will have to use a long phillips screw driver to remove the scre at bottom of the handle... the door then slides up 3-4 inches then comes forward and its twice as hard to put back becase the clip near the speaker sucks to get back in... ant questions pm me i install car stereos and have taken that door off 30+ times
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

That screw is just at a weird angle. Shine a flashlight in there so you can see the angle its at and you should be able to get it.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Do I have to remove all the door stuff to just swap out a speaker? What do I need to take off to just put in my 6.5's
Old 07-04-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i removed mine to get the speaker replaced. not to hard, but it probably helped that i already did a stereo install in my friends WS6 a few years back.

you need to pop off the window switch panel to unplug it. then once all screws are out, you need to lift on the panel as you pull it out.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a excerpt from the writeup I did for the door panel crack repair. Just follow the directions and I included pics to follow too.

First step in the removal is to take off the Switch Panel. The Panel is held on by tension clips(the black steel clip at the top of the panel). All you have to do is pull up on it and it will come free. Be sure not to pull too hard, though as you don't want to stress the wire harnesses.

Next, just disconnect the wiring harnesses from the Switch Panel and set the Panel aside in a safe place

Now for the removal of the screws holding the panel in place. The first is the one in the center of the door handle coverpiece. Do not remove cover yet.

Now, before you try to remove the cover you have to take off the lock switch ****. You have to pull the end out toward you for the tip to come off the wire. It may take some strenght to pull it off but it will be fine.

Here you can see how the wire is and what the plastic piece actually sits on.

Carefully pull the cover piece off from around the door handle. Do so slowly as there is a bulb attached to the pice that must be unplugged. Just unclip it and set aside the cover in a safe place.

The next screw to remove is down in the map pocket of the door.

Next, remove the screw from the very Front underside of the armrest, near where the switch panel is.

Remove the screw that is located near the now exposed area of the door handle.

Remove the cover for the Side mirror access. This will allow easier removal of the door panel. place the cover in a safe place after removal.

The next Screw can't be seen easily in the photo but it is in the exact center. There is a hole where the armrest meets the map pocket and inside is the screw you need to remove.

Now for the removal of the panel. I wasn't able to take pics of this process due to the fact that I need both hands to remove the panel. Now, the only thing holding the panel onto the door is a bunch of plastic downward facing hooks. Remove the panel by gently pulling it up and towards you at a slight angle from the door. While removing the panel it may seem to get stuck, just pay attention to the area that the hook are in as the toughest ones are near the front of the door by the speaker.
Be careful pullin on it due to the fact that the front speakers are still connected to the panel. Once you have the panel semi removed you can disconnect the tweeter and speaker.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good write up
I just removed door panels off a 94 Im parting and one was broken on the middle
lower one,Someone previously must have missed that one and monkeyed it off without
removing screw.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice

Do I have to remove all the door stuff to just swap out a speaker? What do I need to take off to just put in my 6.5's
Yes, you have to remove it to get the speaker out. The speaker is bolted to the door.

Quick Reply: Interior door panel removal?