Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is the most efficient SB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the most efficient SB?

hi, new here, and aside from some strange threads this place seems to be pretty knowledgeable about smallblocks. So I have a question:

In terms of wringing the maximum efficiency from a smallblock, which is the best choice? I'll qualify that further by adding the requirement that it be streetable, from off-idle to wherever the peak may lie (no motors optimised for a narrow RPM range)

thoughts?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

for one, would prolly get better responses in the small block forum. but are we talking all year smallblocks? or just older stuff, cuz any year i would have to pick an ls7 crate motor - 505 very streetable hp from the factory out of a small block. and for older style sbc's, i would think a 400 small block or 383 stroker with midsize cam and a good set of heads would be your best bet for all around power
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Any year, but thinking the later stuff is probably wringing more HP per cubic inch (normally aspirated)

I guess I should clarify, I am curious about efficiency in terms of maximum power per unit of fuel consumed, not overall absolute power.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Default define efficiency..

Which measure of efficiency are you considering?
MPG, BSFC, Thermal, Mechanical, HP/cid, HP/lb, HP/$ ???
Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM

as stated: "power per unit of fuel consumed"

(Brake specific fuel consumption would be equivalent, although the inverse - easily translated. Highest efficiency or lowest SFC)

Figuring the best gasoline engines are somewhere between 30-35% efficient, just wondering where the sweet spot for any of the small blocks is, and which is the best of the best.

Quick Reply: What is the most efficient SB?