Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

abs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs

first off i have used the search and cannot find this problem.

i have an 01 z28 with a new 12 bolt rear end installed. now having an abs inop light. changed out sensor in rear end it had some metal on it after a few miles from the rear end breaking in. problem statrted when rear end installed

Heres the problem: abs light inop is on constant. when u hit the brakes the car slows but the pedal becomes hard.and then it will get soft all the sudden. i had a local dealership bleed the lines and controller with the tech two and it changed nothing. if i pull the abs fuse the brake light will come on in addition to the abs inop light but brakes work fine. someone told me to clean the front speed sensor bot it appears it is part of the rotor so how do i clean it? anyone with any ideas on the problem or how to clean sensors? i have checked all the wiring nothing appears burnt from the headers or loose anywhere

Last edited by hennesseycpl; 06-13-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add on
Old 06-14-2007, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

no one can help? come on guys give me a hint on what to do
Old 06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Launching!

I've got the same issue with the stock rear. I'm hoping that the sensor I ordered works. If not, I'll be calling up a brake company to buy a distribution block and proportioning valve and plumbing my own system, saying to hell with ABS. If it isn't the sensors, it's the controller module, at least that's what I gather from the GM shop manual, and I'm not willing to spend $1000+ for that.

Did the dealer tell you what the code was, a C0055 is a rear wheel speed sensor failure, which was my code and is not found in the GM service manual. The other codes, C0038 (?) - C0051 and C0060's, again, I don't have the manual with me, point to disconnected harnesses and module failure.

Also, in the 12in, is the reluctor wheel inside the same as stock? As for the fronts, can't help you there, I haven't found anything regarding replacement of the sensor, just a check. The manual, not too specific as to which wheel, says to unplug the connector to the sensor, take a Ohm reading of the resistance, should be 800-1600 Ohms. Then, spin the wheel, take an AC volt reading, should be 100mV, if I remember correctly. That's the only way I know to check the sensors without the GM Tech2. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't tell you how to repair the problem as it can be quite a few different things. There's many folks on here with a few ideas that can point you in the right direction. I can suggest that instead of spending quite a bit of money on consistently repairing/troubleshooting it, you can delete it.

You'll loose quite a bit of weight, increase air flow and have the ability to tune your brake bias with a proportioning valve. You'll never have to deal with a constant apparent issue. If you search, you'll see quite a few guys with similar problems.

We've got a kit specifically for you. Look in the braking section in our website.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the responses. i would figure the fix is something simple. the problem started with the rear end install and has to be related to that so i will keep looking thanks to those who replied and any others that reply