Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Attn: SPEC. Pics of Stage 3

Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attn: SPEC. Pics of Stage 3

This is my stage 3 clutch that never felt right and now began slipping bad when giving it some gas from a cruise state. I let you tell me what could have been the problem. This clutch was run over 800 breakin miles. The pedal always felt high.

PS. New billet flywheel
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Damn. My Spec just went out. Replacing it hopefully this weekend. I hope my Flywheel is salvagable.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
12 Second Club

How long was yours in? Look closely at the PP in the first pic then check out the fourth and fith pics of the disc,PP side. I say defective.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can't slip a spec 3 clutch like a normal disc clutch, it is pucked.

i'm having to relearn to drive my car cuz i just got a spec3, it's sloppy, but i'm getitng the hang of it.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I slip my puck style disc quite a bit ,you just shouldnt ride the **** out of it.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your not suposed to "slip it or ride it' your suposed to let it out quick
i got over 50k miles on my old spec3
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i found that if you match the rpm's when shifting just by pressing the gas pedal just a LITTLE bit, to match it, it will grab very smoothly.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Spec 3 just went after about 8,000 miles...(started slipping from a cruise state like original poster, then started slipping in other gears any time I hit it - this whole process took all of about three days and clutch was originally broken in correctly). Haven't pulled it yet, but I have a feeling it looks like yours. My brother had the same problem. His lasted maybe a LITTLE longer than mine did, and he replaced with a 3+ (non-puck style), so I am curious to see how long that one lasts.

I will be calling Spec to find out what the hell is up with these clutches lasting NO time. Hopefully I can just resurface my flywheel if needed and upgrade to the non-puck style. I don't really understand the point of the puck-style disc. It seems it doesn't last long and I can't really see how it would be more beneficial in a racing sense since there is less friction for clamping power. Lighter weight is about the only advantage I can see, and it can't be THAT much lighter (maybe a pound or two?). Can anyone enlighten me?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

You should not have to alter your driving habits for a damned clutch, and if you do the company making that clutch should make it VERY clear. Im thinking that when I pull my 8000 mile spec3 it is gonna look just like that one.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

again, you can't drive is like a disc clutch. the more you slip it, the more the edges of the pucks/pads eat away at it. that is why it bites down so hard.

and in the performance industry, you should know exactly what parts you are buying and researcht hem yourself. if a part looks different than what you're used to, you should find what the pros and cons are of that design.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

looks like it got a little toasty
Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Launching!

also spec just sucks these days, imo after 3 of them
Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
You should not have to alter your driving habits for a damned clutch, and if you do the company making that clutch should make it VERY clear. Im thinking that when I pull my 8000 mile spec3 it is gonna look just like that one.
thats officially the dumbest thing ive ever heard in this section.....an aftermarket clutch made to handle how many hundreds of ft lb's of torque shouldnt alter how its driven and drive the same????give me a break.you need to go automatic
Old 06-17-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

like ive said this before.. **** - a - spec. i wouldnt even waste my money on that company after seeing the amount of problems people have with them on here..
Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

I won't use the shim on any spec. I have installed a few that all work great. My stage 3 x-pad has 25k on it with over 500rwhp and many track passes.
I have help a bunch of people with issues. Many have had there clutch start slipping at about 2000miles. Had them remove the shim and all of them have been great.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
thats officially the dumbest thing ive ever heard in this section.....an aftermarket clutch made to handle how many hundreds of ft lb's of torque shouldnt alter how its driven and drive the same????give me a break.you need to go automatic
Hmm, so what should I do, go around droping my clutch like a ******* dumbass at every red light or stop sign. It's not like I slip it or ride it. I just use the clutch untill I get a clean smooth start, and if you tell me Im not supposed do do that you can go **** yourself. Also it's kinda ******* hard not to ride a clutch that releases at the VERY top end of the pedal. Look you may have had luck with a spec clutch but AS YOU CAN SEE there are ALOT of people with THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM here lately. Now you can be nieve and chalk it up to poor driving or open up your eyes and realize that something might be defective with these clutches. It's all Stage 3's, and they are all lasting about the same miles and doing the same exact thing.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

:rofl:

i know a lot of supras that use the spec 3 and drive it like it's supposed to without any problems.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
like ive said this before.. **** - a - spec. i wouldnt even waste my money on that company after seeing the amount of problems people have with them on here..
Totally agree with you on that on my other camaro I went with a zoom all kevlar. Awesome clutch!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Hmm, so what should I do, go around droping my clutch like a ******* dumbass at every red light or stop sign. It's not like I slip it or ride it. I just use the clutch untill I get a clean smooth start, and if you tell me Im not supposed do do that you can go **** yourself. Also it's kinda ******* hard not to ride a clutch that releases at the VERY top end of the pedal. Look you may have had luck with a spec clutch but AS YOU CAN SEE there are ALOT of people with THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM here lately. Now you can be nieve and chalk it up to poor driving or open up your eyes and realize that something might be defective with these clutches. It's all Stage 3's, and they are all lasting about the same miles and doing the same exact thing.
youre the guy in the other thread who posted about how you slip your clutch and have to ride it to back outta your driveway everyday,so what now all of a sudden you dont slip it or ride it anymore?if you think a clutch made to hand 2 or even 3 times the hp/tq of the stock clutch is going to drive like a stock clutch in all aspects then youre the nieve one.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
youre the guy in the other thread who posted about how you slip your clutch and have to ride it to back outta your driveway everyday,so what now all of a sudden you dont slip it or ride it anymore?if you think a clutch made to hand 2 or even 3 times the hp/tq of the stock clutch is going to drive like a stock clutch in all aspects then youre the nieve one.
So what are you saying here is the spec stage 3 is not a very good street clutch, basically unless you pop the clutch out at every intersection it is gonna wear out. I guess I should just pop it out and haul *** down my ******* driveway in reverse, hell maybe I can catch some air when I get the to edge. Since you seem to be the clutch expert what clutch should I get? I am looking at the LS7, is that gonna wear out of I ride it a bit backing out of my driveway? Are you gonna honestly sit here and tell me and the 10's of others who are having the EXACT same problem with clutches that were bought around the same timeframe that out clutch failures is due to our driving style? I mean we are ALL having the EXACT same problem symptoms, they are lasting the exact same amount of miles, and are doing the same thing (high pedal release followed by slipping in 5th and 6th gear). Maybe your the one who is nieve.

Search this Thread