Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen camaro conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen camaro conversion?

Are there any guides to conversions for 2nd gen camaros. i have a wrecked 97 camaro with lt1 and t-56 i would like to put in our 71 camaro but can't find any walkthroughs on these. Is there a conversion kit for these cars? motor mounts all that? thanks in advance. and i tried to search but only found completed cars.

our 71 when we got it. has different wheels and stuff now.
http://www.freewebs.com/64f85wagon/CIMG0191.JPG
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldsmolet
Are there any guides to conversions for 2nd gen camaros. i have a wrecked 97 camaro with lt1 and t-56 i would like to put in our 71 camaro but can't find any walkthroughs on these. Is there a conversion kit for these cars? motor mounts all that? thanks in advance. and i tried to search but only found completed cars.

our 71 when we got it. has different wheels and stuff now.
http://www.freewebs.com/64f85wagon/CIMG0191.JPG
The lt1 is a direct bolt in. The mounts are the same as a gen 1 small blk. The trans crossmember will have to be modified but otherwise thats it, Josh
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Teching In

sweet thats real easy. what about tank and stuff? nice car u have there.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by oldsmolet
sweet thats real easy. what about tank and stuff? nice car u have there.
You will have to either run a sump and an inline high pressure pump like the walbro 255 or do the intake conversion. Mine is sumped with the walbro 255. Thanks for the compliments, Josh
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Lt1 should be pretty east to get in the 2nd gen. Since you are going T56, you will also need to get a bracket to mount the hydraulic clutch MC. There are a few places that sell this bracket. Try ATS or S&P. I used the S&P bracket but its was not a direct bolt on since it was designed for the first gen. Im not sure if they have a specific one for 2nd gens now.

As for the fuel tank, there ar many ways to do it. You can sump your tank as mentioned above and run an inline pump, you can buy an efi ready tank from rock valley or ricks hotrod shop. you can also adapt the 4th gen fuel pump assembly to the 2nd gen tank. Another option is to use the tanks inc fuel pump module. look at my website for what I did.

Finally, you can try using the LT1 impala tank. I have not seen them used on the 2nd gens but I think it can work.

as far as wiring, all you need is to provide power for the ECU and install some electric fans with some sought of controller. The gauges sould be pretty easy to setup as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

I used the clutch master cylinder bracket from ats. Its a great piece and a direct fit.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Which master did you use? Now that I have sold the A4 I am M6 bound. By the way, your car is my wallpaper. It's been great inspiration to keep working on my own 2nd gen LS1/T56!

I've been on the fence about which tank to use. Maybe I can find a cheap Impala tank and do a trial fit.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen camaro conversion?