New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how important is it to get a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how important is it to get a dyno tune?

heres the stuff i got. it's dying when i start it up, it will turn over but it will lope and lope and lope then die. But i was told by a gearhead i know and he said a tune will fix that. what else will it do? generally how much HP will i gain and stuff?

cam, heads re worked, SLP lid, 3.73 gears, Built 4l60E transmission, pacesetter long tube headers, 3 inch x pipe, dynomax mufflers, EGR block off, Trottle body bypass, K&N filter.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You definately need a tune!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ImStock
heres the stuff i got. it's dying when i start it up, it will turn over but it will lope and lope and lope then die. But i was told by a gearhead i know and he said a tune will fix that. what else will it do? generally how much HP will i gain and stuff?

cam, heads re worked, SLP lid, 3.73 gears, Built 4l60E transmission, pacesetter long tube headers, 3 inch x pipe, dynomax mufflers, EGR block off, Trottle body bypass, K&N filter.

get that thing to a dyno. I dont think that it is really good to be driving around without a tune on that set up. Its not an old school engine, any new big mods need to get a tune not only to get the most performance out of it but to make sure that your car runs correctly with the new set up. I wouldnt drive it until you get it dynoed. You will see a significant HP and TQ gain. Possibally 20 HP, not sure, but around that.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000LS1TA
You definately need a tune!!!
WOW YOUR A LOT OF HELP. THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED SPAM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6

get that thing to a dyno. I dont think that it is really good to be driving around without a tune on that set up. Its not an old school engine, any new big mods need to get a tune not only to get the most performance out of it but to make sure that your car runs correctly with the new set up. I wouldnt drive it until you get it dynoed. You will see a significant HP and TQ gain. Possibally 20 HP, not sure, but around that.
Thanks for you help i really appreciate that.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

is there anything i should tell the people who are tuning it? extreme performance on okc is doing it.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you know anyone good with efi live or hptuners?....if so get them to give you a street tune....more time for efi to work on your car then a dyno tune who gives you 4-6 pulls....
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by staringback05
do you know anyone good with efi live or hptuners?....if so get them to give you a street tune....more time for efi to work on your car then a dyno tune who gives you 4-6 pulls....
That is 100% correct. EFI live is amazing, but by seeing that he already has his dyno place set up, at least he will have a nice base tune. Hopefully they have LS1 Edit there. If you do know someone that does have EFI Live and knows how to work it, I would eventually take them on a ride alon with the program and do some more tuning. But a good dyno tune is going to do the trick.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there anything i should tell the people who are tuning it? extreme performance on okc is doing it.

I would make sure that they know what mods you have done, and I would ask them if they have tuned an LS1 before. I wouldnt let someone with no experience in LS1 values tune my car. But just let them know what you have done to it. I think you should be fine.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the cam specs? If it isn't far from stock it should still run and drive semi ok. But a tune is necessary with a cam. If not, your car will be underpowered and have shitty gas mileage. Prepare to spend around 600 on a dyno tune.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

If you're in OK you should definitely have your tune done by Ed Wright - He is the best in the business and is located in West Tulsa
Old 06-15-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Prepare to spend around 600 on a dyno tune.
$600???? Ive never seen it for that much. Im glad I dont live by you!

Anyway, like what was said above. If you have a cam, you need a tune, its part of the cost of installing a cam. Yes some smaller cams can run without it, but its not a finished job until the tune gets put in.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

sounds good guys. I wish i knew the specs on the cam but I dont. its a stealth cam its not extremely loud but you can still tell and hear the lope when your behind the car its obvious but in the front of the car its mellow.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be sure that they do not just do WOT runs on the dyno and are done in one or two hours. Street tunes are very good because the tuner can tune the ECM to exact driving conditions for you, a load bearing dyno (Dynojet or Mustang dyno with eddy current, a DynaPack or a Dyno Dynamics as examples) will also make tuning part throttle easier. Also ensure that they spend time on your idle, I usually require that cam'ed cars stay over night so I can properly calibrate the cold start up issues. WOT tunes can be done by any monkey, but only a competent tuner can do part throttle and idle satisfactory.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly, I think you have another problem. I have been told by many people that the mods you have will run(underpowered, but run ok). I am doing similar mods and have been told that it will run with a power increase, til I get it tuned. Then get more power after tune.

It should run with those mods, and run good, just not as good as after a tune.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Your post is kinda confusing. It won't run, but then you said that when you stand behind it running that it doesn't sound too lopey.

If what you mean is that it won't idle on it's own cold... then yes you need a tune, or drill your TB. If it is a mild cam it should be drivable, just not optimum.

Brian
Old 06-16-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dyno tunage!!!

TSP (if you're near or in TX) charges $300 so I'd imagine other places aren't that far from that either!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

how is it going. Did you get it tuned yet?? any prices of what it will cost. Just checking up.