Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need advice from the Bass Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice from the Bass Gurus

Long time lurker looking for a little input on a choice of subs for my new ride. Previous set-up was a pair of 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects in a 3cft enclosure driven by a JBL 1200.1. With the back seats (Mustang) down, it could only be described as "stupid loud." That said, I much preferred the sound of that set-up (clean and deep) to the boomy, muddy character of most lower end systems i have heard. My one disappointment was in the accuracy dept, as the Kappas sometimes struggled to keep up with fast paced, dynamic tracks (anyone know what end of the SPL/SQ spectrum those drivers lie on anyway?)

Since the fbody's layout makes for more audio-friendly cabin than my previous ride, I've decided to try to make do with less power and aim for a little higher SQ. Picked up a Class D Amp (300/500/800wt into 4/2/1 ohm, respectively) and have a ProBox dual 12" well enclosure (1.1 cft per side, 7.5" mounting depth) on the way. Now it's only a matter of picking out a pair of subs. Budget's around $100-$125 per sub (max).

Choices I'm considering:
-Used JL 12w6v1. Readily available on Craiglist for my price point
-TC Sounds DB500 (or possibly TC-1000 if they go on sale)
-Dayton RSS315HF

Interested in any feedback you might have on any of these subs, and feel free to suggest additions to the list.

Cheers

Tony
Old 06-15-2007, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a pair of db-500s, they're great subwoofers. I listen to just about every type of music and these speakers have not disappointed me yet. They are very versatile subs The TC-1000 is very similar to them, but a bit better. I'd get the TC-1000s if you can.

Used subwoofers are always a gamble... you never truly know what the previous owner did with it and when it will quit on you. I'd go with new speakers.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Good to hear. TC sounds really seems to make some great stuff. In fact, I may end up with their drivers by the end of the weekend, albeit in the form of an Eclipse 8122.4, which I believe they manufactured...

And if the Eclipses don't work out, I'm only out $25 a pop (no joke), so I can always buy new later. And yeah buying used is always a risk, particularly speakers. But I've gotten lucky several times, and always insist on auditioning. Besides, even if they quit after a month, I'll be out less than an average tab at the pub!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my kicker crv12's they are $150 a pair, mine are about to get a 1200W rms amp
Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got these for $150.00 apiece brand new!! RE Audio SE's

Compared to my old JL Audio W3's!! LOL!!!!!

My W3's were great but these Resonant Engineering subs are alot more fun!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow. Those TC subs have some very nice specs. Seems to be the type of sub you are after. Price is very right.

The type of bass you are looking for requires a fast responding sub in a decent sized box. The mechanical Q will determine the ability to hold the acceleration in check. The electrical Q determines the ability to handle the power going thru it. Also can dictate the ability to change direction fast. The Qes is the combination of all the Q's. Lower then 3 is good. 2.3 is very good. Some of the Very best speakers in the world can be in the 0.9-1.9.

The TC's seem to have the build for what you want to do. Same with the JL W6.

You'll want to stay with smaller sized speaker like 10". They are smaller overall in dimensions and will react faster. 2 of those TC 10" subs in a hatch box with about 400 watts will sound good.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Previous system was 1 JL 10"w6 with a JL class D mono block 1400e running at 2 ohms in a JL stealth box it hit like crazy no one believed it was only one 10 haha

after some how cutting the w6 I went out today and got a 10" Kicker CVX, not as good as my w6 but hit very very hard
Old 06-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Banned

Is it just me or do the TC-1000's look just like the RE's except with an aluminum cone and smaller voice coils??!!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Wow. Those TC subs have some very nice specs. Seems to be the type of sub you are after. Price is very right.

The type of bass you are looking for requires a fast responding sub in a decent sized box. The mechanical Q will determine the ability to hold the acceleration in check. The electrical Q determines the ability to handle the power going thru it. Also can dictate the ability to change direction fast. The Qes is the combination of all the Q's. Lower then 3 is good. 2.3 is very good. Some of the Very best speakers in the world can be in the 0.9-1.9.

The TC's seem to have the build for what you want to do. Same with the JL W6.

You'll want to stay with smaller sized speaker like 10". They are smaller overall in dimensions and will react faster. 2 of those TC 10" subs in a hatch box with about 400 watts will sound good.
Nice post, except the bottom
Speaker size has nothing to do with how fast a speaker "reacts". A 15 can hit the kick bass as fast as a 10.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Is it just me or do the TC-1000's look just like the RE's except with an aluminum cone and smaller voice coils??!!
Thats because the baskets are pretty generic and so are the surrounds haha.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95bat
I've been seeing that basket on some other stuff to. It's funny how they all are really starting to share the same components. I saw some C4 subs the other day on ebay that are identical to W3's visually. I'm sure the voice coils have to be different. The Interfire Pro V10 (pro v series subs) is also VERY similar to both the RE SE and TC-1000.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice post, except the bottom
Speaker size has nothing to do with how fast a speaker "reacts". A 15 can hit the kick bass as fast as a 10.
To an extent. It depends on the range the speaker is playing in and most importantly the weight of the speaker material and the size of the voice coil. A very light 15 with a rigid cone can be as good as a 10, but has more speaker cone area.

F=MA.

Yeah!! For years on end most companies build their speaker and components using existing technologies and materials. The Memphis SHP's (circa 2002) use the same basket that Lazar used for their subs. (Circa 1993). You'll see that all the time in the audio industry. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Richiec77
To an extent. It depends on the range the speaker is playing in and most importantly the weight of the speaker material and the size of the voice coil. A very light 15 with a rigid cone can be as good as a 10, but has more speaker cone area.

F=MA.

Yeah!! For years on end most companies build their speaker and components using existing technologies and materials. The Memphis SHP's (circa 2002) use the same basket that Lazar used for their subs. (Circa 1993). You'll see that all the time in the audio industry. There is nothing wrong with that.
Read this link about woofer speed:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/WooferSpeed.pdf
It will show you how woofer size has nothing to do with transient response, which is what determines the woofers ability to play rapid bass accurately.

To add on to the rest of the post, TC Sounds has been around a LONG time making drivers for many companies... which is true for a lot of other companies as well. There aren't many companies that have an in-house build anymore.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read this link about woofer speed:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/WooferSpeed.pdf
It will show you how woofer size has nothing to do with transient response, which is what determines the woofers ability to play rapid bass accurately.
Wow. Just wow....I have to process all this and change the way I look at loudspeakers. Simply awesome find on that information.

Ok. From that, yes mass still plays a part in the quest for faster response, but only a part and a smaller part. I have to think this over before I post up anything else. Way to go. I'm mind fucked at this point.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL so was I when I read it. It is a VERY VERY common misconception in car audio.

Quick Reply: Need advice from the Bass Gurus