Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of the new roll cage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pictures of the new roll cage.

I got these from the cage builder this weekend. The cage isnt complete, these are just pictures of the progress he has made on it. There is still quite a bit that has to be done. Still needs the side impact beams, horizontal harness bar in the main hoop, and the horizontal bar across the dash. There is also some extra bracing that is going in.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Pictures of the new roll cage.

The welding looks killer. I have a couple questions though. Why are your rear bars so close together?? They look like they are mounted over the fuel tank not the frame rails. Are you going to add some bars farther forward toward the firewall???? The a pillar bars being in front of the dash is leaving alot of your legs out in the open in a frontal crash.

I see you run the Open Road Races and I have built a couple and unfortuneately crashed one. I definitely put a ton of extra bars in for the drivers legs etc.

225-343-9029
Old 05-05-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

The welding looks killer. I have a couple questions though. Why are your rear bars so close together?? They look like they are mounted over the fuel tank not the frame rails. Are you going to add some bars farther forward toward the firewall???? The a pillar bars being in front of the dash is leaving alot of your legs out in the open in a frontal crash.

I see you run the Open Road Races and I have built a couple and unfortuneately crashed one. I definitely put a ton of extra bars in for the drivers legs etc.

He will be adding a couple of extra bars on the back 2. There wont be anything going through the firewall on this one. When we talked about the set up on the cage I had mentioned running 2 bars through the firewall and he said the only reason you do that is to tie the front end together and I would also loose my heater core if I did that. I want to stay away from tearing the car up to bad so we didnt go that route. My concern about putting something in front of the legs is that in the event of a minor accident, it could seriously injure the drier/passengers legs if they flail around.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:14 PM
SSU Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A: how much flailing would you do in a minor accident?
B: bar in front of dash? I was under the impression those were not needed if you have a complete/unmodified firewall.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

A: how much flailing would you do in a minor accident?
B: bar in front of dash? I was under the impression those were not needed if you have a complete/unmodified firewall.
In ORR any accident under 120mph is considered minor. Generally speaking, any accident under 140-145mph you will walk away from.

I went with the bar across the dash for added side crushing protection. That one bar adds alot of support to the cage in the event of a hard roll over at speed. It will help the cage from wanting to "fold" in the front.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree with the dash bar. I also see that you are trying to keep the heater core, but I think the a-pillar bars should be farther forward to protect the foot box. Also the a-pillar bars arent tied in to the front subframe real well that far back.

I'm not knocking the cage it looks killer. I am just offering advice.

225-343-9029
Old 05-05-2003, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with the dash bar. I also see that you are trying to keep the heater core, but I think the a-pillar bars should be farther forward to protect the foot box. Also the a-pillar bars arent tied in to the front subframe real well that far back.

I'm not knocking the cage it looks killer. I am just offering advice.
I called him at lunch today and we talked about running a diagonal bar inbetween the 2 rear bars and then off of the rear bars running a bar to each shock tower. I asked about the front bars and the subframe issue and he had allready welded in some stock underneath, kind of extending the subframe a bit to give those bars something to tie into.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Cool Whatever you do DONT **** your builder off. I'm just making observations. Sounds like he is already thinking ahead of me.

225-343-9029