Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I spun a bearing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Think I spun a bearing...

Well I was out beating on the car about a month ago and it developed a small tick what sounded like an exauhst leak. I got the car home parked it in the garage and couldnt hear the noise any longer so I checked the oil and it was about a quart low, so obviously I added oil and went on my way. well I have been driving the car for the last month or so with no issues and the other day it started to make a faint knoking noise and by the time I got it home it was a gut wrenching noise.
Cut the filter open today and lots of copper shavings. I havent pulled the motor yet but will be doing so in the next week or so.
Do you guys know what to look for, when you break into the motor to see what went wrong. I had oil pressure never dropped that I noticed (tough to tell when racing).
Would one quart low cause this problem?
Also thinking about doing the rebuild myself is there any tips or good sights that will give me the info I need to do this?
sorry if I posted in the wrong forum but the car is procharged if that counts
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

the copper shavings would make me want to pull it apart either way but it sounds like you have a spun bearing.

i rebuilt my motor myself sticking with all the stock internals (long story but to save time) i would upgrade all the bolts to arp studs/bolts then get some forged rods and pistons. Find a good machine shop to balance it and hone it for you then take your time and slap it back together.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have all good parts. Lunati billet rods, diamond pistons, ect but I am allready at the 3.905 bore annd Im not sure if it can go more safely with the amount of boost I am pushing 15lbs. If the cylinders are ok do you think I can get away with a hone and use the same pistons, I believe the clearence has to be between .003-.004. I definatly need to hone the cylinders though cause when I blew the head gasket It left some marks but no gouges (couldent feel them with my fingernail).
Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default picture of cylinder

Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any help with the questions would be great.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 PM

sounds like a spun bearing to me. i would pull the motor to avoid any further damage.