Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it likely that Kooks had a bad batch of headers/y-pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it likely that Kooks had a bad batch of headers/y-pipes?

And would they even admit it if they did?

Since installing the Kooks LTs, I've had an absolute headache w/ the clearance issues. Yes, it sounds amazing running through my GMMG catback, but I am not sure its worth the aggrevation. The Ypipe is slammed on the bottom of the car along w/ the intermediate pipe as well, constantly vibrating the inside of the car. My GMMG would never make a sound (as far as contact w/ the car) before the header install, now, every decent sized bump I hit makes the axle knock the hell out of the exhaust pipe. Installed Mufflex's Bump-stop bracket for the Ypipe and that did nothing.

The collector isn't even facing down. Its either pointing slightly up or level at best. The shop that installed the headers said it looks like something wasnt lined up just right when manufactured. Another exhaust shop said the same thing. The folks that have had their Kooks for a while have had no problems... the people that got theirs the same time I got mine are ALL having the same problem.

I ordered the headers/ypipe back in Feb. Waited over a month for Kooks to even ship the Ypipe, then when I finally get it all on, my satisfaction of the driving experience in the car has been greatly reduced. Its driving me insane and I am really wishing I never would have purchased them.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Any chance you have some worn out motor mounts or the like that are causing the engine itself to sit uneven, and thus causing the tilt at the collector? The geometry of it (after switching to a LT from stock manifolds) could be that just a little bit of this could show a decent slant at the collector. Just something to think about. Have you called Kooks or whoever sold you the headers yet?

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-15-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Any chance you have some worn out motor mounts or the like that are causing the engine itself to sit uneven, and thus causing the tilt at the collector? The geometry of it (after switching to a LT from stock manifolds) could be that just a little bit of this could show a decent slant at the collector. Just something to think about. Have you called Kooks or whoever sold you the headers yet?
Yea, I called Kooks... and yes, I considered the motor mounts may be worn out... but if the Y-pipe is slammed on the bottom of the car all of the time and other parts of the exhaust are touching, it kind of illiminates the possibility of it being the motor mounts. if it only touched when the engine was running, I could see it being more of a motor mount issue.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had kooks on my previous car. The product was great. The y-pipe tucks in so good that you usually have a small amount of banging on the driver side. I remedied this with a hose clamp and a small diameter radiator hose. Any cat back sits close to the drive shaft tunnel. Some headers are going to make it sit closer than others. Im sure a little adjusting will square you away. Even with the SLP's I have on my new car pushes the i-pipe too close to the drive shaft tunnel, and those things hang lower than all hell. I dont think its the kooks or any header for that matter. We just dont have a lot of room to work with under there. Kooks has a great product. Just find a shop that can adjust your y-pipe or catback to give you the clearance you need.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Ypipe:

And the intermediate pipe:

Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate them
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

IMHO, when I think of motor mounts being wore out, the front of the motor is going to pitch down and forward more. This in turn will point the collectors up and back and could likely force the Y-pipe collector up too. If you think about it, an inch lower at the motor mounts could equal significantly more at the ends of the collectors, and even more at the Y-pipe collector. I'm no math wize, but I'm sure someone could extrapolate that movement.

Have you tried to loosen the exhaust, then loosen the LTs, pull the collectors down as far as they can go, then tighten from the LTs back?

Sorry for you problems dude. IMHO, those mounts may need a second or third look.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the kooks y-pipe banging is pretty common on these vehicles. every now and again, a thread comes about complaining about it. the kooks y-pipe is known for tucking up very well, some accounts even better than stock. because of this, it has a better chance of banging/rubbing. that's the nature of the beast. i recommend taking it to an exhaust shop to have it adjusted and inspecting the motor mounts won't hurt, but i have to agree that recently, there has been a large increase of complaints about kooks products that have seemingly come out of nowhere. there usually aren't many kooks complaints around here, so a bad batch is entirely possible.