General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Close to overheating!!!??? Need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Close to overheating!!!??? Need ideas

Well my 98 trans am gets real close to overheating and it is really beginning to concern me now. I just recenly put my air conditioning system back in and it has a leak so my freon is gone in a day causing that whole system to get hot even its little radiator mounted in front of mine...like you all know. Anyways, on the highway my temperature gauge reads upwards of 220+* but nothing is spuing out or boiling (YET). I have a switch in my car the SLP one that turns on both of the fans (i rigged it to turn on both...before it just turned on one), and a 160* thermostat. I tried running the car with cap off as i watched down in the radiator and the fluid is cycling around. So long story short....my fluid is cycling around, both fans are on with a 160* thermo......why is it getting so freking hot and not cooling down even when i stop?????

Last edited by Rextur; 06-15-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing you should check is to make sure the air dam didn't fall off of the car or anything. It's a black rectangular thing that hangs below the radiator to direct air up to it. That's the most common thing for overheating while driving.

You can flush the system and put new coolant in it. Could be dirty or wrong coolant to water ratio.

Make sure the radiator is clean and there isn't dirt/leaves/plastic bags blocking it. Check to see if the fins are bent up while your at it.

You can look over the hoses and make sure none of them are collapsed when it's warmed up.

If it isn't any of those, it could overheat if your timing is advanced. That's all I got, hope it helps.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:56 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Moving to General Maintenance & Repairs Forum...