Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh LS1 for the modding

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fresh LS1 for the modding

Hey guys I'm new here, going to pick up my new 99' SS on Sunday. I just had a couple of questions. The car has the optional "SLP exhaust" so I was wondering how that compares to the loud mouth? I'm going to do intake/exhaust right off the hop but wanted to know if it's worth getting a better cat back to go with some long tubes.

I'm going to be picky with this car so I want nothing too cheap, what long tubes would you personally recommend? As well an the intake, is it worth paying the 300 for the K&N or should I just get the SLP lid?

The last thing is high flow cats or a y pipe? I read around on here first a bit and people were saying that the loud mouth with headers and no cats would be too raspy? Just want to know whats best before I start spending cash.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the buy. I like the 99 SS too!

By optional SLP exhaust, do mean the CME (center mount exhaust), or the SLP dual dual exhaust? The dual dual is a really good setup, but there would probably be just a little more to be gained with a LM setup, but its gonna get loud. Even louder if you take off the cats. The rasp thing, go to LS1sounds.com and listen for yourself, see if you find a combination you approve of. My exhaust mods are in my sig, along with a video link of it. Most long tubes are going to get you about the same power, and most fit in pretty well, except Kooks, I hear those are a bitch to get in, but are supposed to be awesome.

As far as intake, just get a lid of your choice, MTI, SLP, whatever.

All in all whats defined as "best" is going to vary from person to person, as you will find out when more people come in here and post. Just research as much as you can and familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of whichever brand or product you go with.

I think that about sums up what you asked.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Alright, well thanks for the info, it's the slp dual dual setup btw.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
Alright, well thanks for the info, it's the slp dual dual setup btw.
The good thing about that exhaust is it isn't too loud until you really get into it, a plus for a daily driven car.

If you swap that exhaust, I got dibs on the tips!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

Haha, well in my LT1 I had BBK shorties with a Flowmaster cat back with no cats, and it was loud, i loved it. I think I'm going to get the loudmouth anyways.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
Haha, well in my LT1 I had BBK shorties with a Flowmaster cat back with no cats, and it was loud, i loved it. I think I'm going to get the loudmouth anyways.
Good deal, just let me know when it happens, I want your dual dual tips.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Well if you want them then there yours after I get my exhaust done. I'm actually looking at stuff on ls1speed.com. I think I'm going to go with the hooker coated headers and cat back. I'm just wondering what to do with the cats, take em out, leave them, or get high flows. Don't know what to do.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you really want the LM setup, I think it sounds a bit weak and I hear a lot of people end up ditching it after a bit
Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

IF you want your car to be loud, dont put cats on it, I'm about to purchase American Racing LT's and I'm going with Y-pipe no cats, I cant wait, is gonna be realy loud but thats how I want it, if you dont think u can handle the exhaust beeing too loud, just get high flow cats, thats my opinion! Good luck man