Sponsored by:

GTO LS2 package in V6 Bird?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO LS2 package in V6 Bird?

Hi guys,

I found a used LS2 package on eBay, and it includes what I think is most of the components needed for a swap on a 2001 Firebird.

You probably think I'm a noob for even considering this. But I love my car, and think it would be badass to have the 400hp sleeper potential. I hate rice, and there's a lot of it to kill where I live.

I think my car is worth like $6. It's a 2001 Firebird with 75k miles.

I don't really want a Trans Am. If I got a new car, 100 more HP wouldn't be worth the 10k to upgrade to a nice WS6.

You're thinking "dumbass, the WS6 has a badass ram air hood, spoiler, leather interior, upgraded suspension, ect" but I don't really care for anything but power. The WS6 is nice but it still wouldn't have a new transmission or engine even if I spent $10 upgrading to one.

I'm probably underestimating the cost of dropping a LS2 in my car. But if this kit includes everything for $8k, and we say $2k for labor, I would have a faster and more reliable car than I would spending $16k (-6k for selling mine) on a WS6, which would probably have around 100k miles.

This kit includes:

LS2
New transmission
A/c Compressor
Power Steering Pump
Alternator
Starter
Exhaust manifolds
All Sensors on Engine
MAF Sensor and plumbing to MAF
Complete from fuel injection to oil pan

So the kit runs about 8k. Could somebody please give me some realization of what other costs in parts are involved? I know the LS2 uses an electrical throttle system, and my car isn't set up for that. How much of a bitch/cost is that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-GT...mZ200117408613

Thanks for any help. And please speak your mind...dont' really care if you want to flame or whatever.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

one thing your going to run into is the wiring harness... because it is from an 05 gto and you have a 01 bird, your not going to be able to plug the dash harness into the PCM like you would with an 01 ls1. the only way you can do plug and play is to have the same year engine/PCM/tranny as your car, so an 01 and they didnt make ls2 in 01 so your project will consist of alot more than you think, if you want power inside your car that is.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info. I think the electrical system incompatibility would be a mess.

so are we talking needing a new guage cluster? or more than that? it would need replacing anyway, since the stock one only goes up to 120mph.

Not that I'd be hitting over 120 with the LS2...

(in 4th gear )

I bet it would be amazing to see how quick that needle gets up to 60 on that 120mph speedo, compared to the stock 3800 though.

(double the HP with that LS2!)

but then a new cluster would mean my mileage wouldn't be accurate
Old 06-15-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya you have to get a new cluster. i dont know a whole lot about an ls2 swap but im pretty sure you would have to do some rigging with the dash harness. and ya its gonna be a huge mess puting an ls2 in haha.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally i would try and find an LS1 from the same year or an LS6 out of a Z06. The LS6 will give ya just a little bit more power and it has a better intake on it and lighter valves. But that would make your electrical woes go away. Oh ya and your going to need new gears, and if you do make this conversion your going to be needing a new rear end eventually too, are you looking at a T56 for the transmission? And yes your mileage would be accurate, simply because it is not stored in the cluster but somewhere else in the car, correct me if im wrong...
Old 06-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Teching In

yeah I was actually just looking at the LS6. do you know if that's an easier fit compared to the LS2 physically? I was thinking the LS2 was somewhat relative to the LS1, although it does have the extra .3 liters.

but the package I was talking about that I saw on ebay...it did include the 6spd manual transmission. mine is manual right now...

but if I bought the LS6 and transmission seperately, I would get the T56. They use those on vipers...so they gotta be good right, lol

rear end..yeah...probably need a new one of those too.

if it was easy....I bet a lot more people would have done it by now. hmm.

Last edited by the817sfinest; 06-15-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

T56 came standard on all manual ls1 cars. The difference between the GM unit and the Viper one is it's size. The Viper is narrower and therefore often used as retrofits on cars that have smaller transmission tunnels. Naturally, you should look for a GM one for your purposes. If you scavange junkyards you should be able to find a complete pull out LS1 with T56 for about 4000-4500.

The LS6 is the same as the LS1 it just has some upgrades, so dimension wise, you'd be fine. As far as wiring is concerned, I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that the LS6 would be generally plug and play. LS6 would add to budget cost, etc...personal preference I suppose, but i'd stick with the LS1 for ease of swap.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't there a difference in the K-Members between the v-6 and v-8 f Bodies? And where are you located, is emissions inspection required?

Pat
Old 06-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Teching In

Pat, I've heard there is a difference in the K-members in the two cars. So that's probably another thing to add to the list, lol. I haven't looked into it enough to know specifics like that, but I guess the K-members would be another $500 or so?

I'm kinda just looking at my options now. The LS6 seems like a better option compared to the LS2 based on electrical compatibility...and the amount of HP is puts out seems nice.

In Texas, I don't think they're really strict on emissions.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

man, what you need is and iron block 6.0. all the benefits of LS2, without the cost.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

man you can pick up a used stock k member for $100. a few days ago i saw a thread for a tubular k member for sale for $400. you dont need tubular though. Im looking into doing this as well but with an ls1 and what im gonna do is get as many parts from the same car as i can. gonna try to get a pullout with transmission/pcm/engine/wiring harness/tranny mount/and kmember all together so all i will have to do is through the control arms on and pop that sucker in, mind the fuel system though.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I forgot about the K-member, but you should be able to pick one up out of a wrecked camaro or T/A for less than 150 bucks. There's no reason to go tubular for a mostly street car that sees a few days at the track. Try looking in junkyards, and I've also found some great deals on Craigslist

Also, I love the idea of the 6.0 truck block. Sure it's a little heavy, 65lbs heavier than it's aluminum counterparts I believe. But you can make mad horsepower with those things. There was an article in Carcraft a little bit ago that showed how to build a 6.0 block for under 4,000 with 485 hp and they mentioned that with a more aggressive cam 500 was easily within reach. They did use a carb, but with proper tuning the FI could easily hit those numbers. However, I"m not sure of all the swap details into a 4th gen fbody.

Last edited by 9540x; 06-16-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Teching In

9540x, I did look at some crate engines, but was leaning away because of more street driveability. When you said "a mostly street car that sees a few days at the track" that pretty much nailed it.

That 6L truck engine sounds badass, but I think a carb and cam might be overkill. With a cam, even the stupid ricers will know it's not a 3800, lol. But they do sound really nice. And I'm sure with a carb that thing is terrible on gas, lol.

01 Cammmaro, good luck with your swap! I wish I was ASE certified so I'd know enough to help, lol. But I'm pretty close, in Arlington. Been to Denton before for a bike meet.

But I'll eventually get my degree in mechanical engineering at UTA. I want to open up a motorcycle dealership

(getting a CPA too and gotta pass my bar)
Old 06-16-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

im actually in arlington for the summer... maybe youve seen me around. im pretty much the only MMM camaro in town, at least that ive seen. i live south arlington and work at golds gym. btw, there is a long street of junkyards off of spur 408 in grand prairie you should check out.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Teching In

cool, I'll check those out.

I'm a YMCA guy, lol. Living in S. Arlington, I'm sure you're familiar with cooper st.?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

If you have 10k for the swap, find a good condition ls1/t56 in a junkyard for arund 4k. Assume 2k in labor, since you did before, you still have 4 k left over for bolt ons, such as headers-400, exhaust-500, cam-400, heads-1000, ls6 intake manifold-500, new oild pump, new springs, retainers, you would have an easily low 400 wheel hp reliable car. And if the motor is out of the car, putting in a cam is pretty easy. Good luck on what ever you do.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya im familiar with cooper... i live off cooper and sublett
Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

haha, that's one street from mine (hardisty)

thanks sideways for the reccom. I'm gonna check out some junkyards and see what they got around here.

that's a badass WS6 hood you got there, btw.

Quick Reply: GTO LS2 package in V6 Bird?