Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock headers and y-pipe

Does anybody have these? How do you like them? Do they fit good with enough ground clearance?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had them on my old car. I did not like the way they fit. Ground clearance wasn't to bad, but you couldn't drop the trans with the headers on. I had one of the first sets made, so I don't know if they have revised them since. I have the XS Stainless on my '99, and have no complaints.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

I have them, and the trans has been dropped (stall swap) with the headers in place.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed my headers and they fit awesome no y pipe though they sliped in like a glove too, lots of ground clearence too
Old 06-16-2007, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them, no complaints here. They fit awesome, easy install. Y pipe is leaps and bounds better then many of the other competitors. Ground clearance is good as well. I have never scraped my y pipe on anything.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
I have them, no complaints here. They fit awesome, easy install. Y pipe is leaps and bounds better then many of the other competitors. Ground clearance is good as well. I have never scraped my y pipe on anything.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

BigKap, will the y-pipe fit with the stock cat-back?

I was going to go with the Pace-setters and their y-pipe, but my friend turned me into this direction, and from the comments, I may be going with this combo as long as it fits into the stock cat-back.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:38 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

A guy I know installed this setup on his car. With stock ride height he got about 3" of ground clearance on the drivers side. Some seem to get more. Perhaps it comes down to how much time you spend trying to fit it. I am thinking of the same system but I am a little worried about the ground clearance. Try a search on this forum, you might be able to find a photo.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ybaslo1
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

BigKap, will the y-pipe fit with the stock cat-back?

I was going to go with the Pace-setters and their y-pipe, but my friend turned me into this direction, and from the comments, I may be going with this combo as long as it fits into the stock cat-back.
The y pipe should fit the stock catback, however You would need to have the inlet on the I-pipe expanded for it to slide over the end of the Y-pipe.

As for the Y-pipe clearance issues, i fail to see how anyone could even get near that poor clearance. I could tuck my Y-pipe higher to the body, by another 3/4" but I would rather sacrifice a slight amount of clearance for y-pipe/body interference. My Y-pipe clears with almost 6" of clearance from the ground, and could tucked to almost 7" pretty easily. Also for what its worth, I would use the prefer the Edelbrock items even if ground clearance was sacrificed, the Pacesetter Y pipe is a piece of crap, flat spots, Y pipe/body clearance issues and **** poor merge make it an easy choice for me.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

The y pipe should fit the stock catback, however You would need to have the inlet on the I-pipe expanded for it to slide over the end of the Y-pipe.

As for the Y-pipe clearance issues, i fail to see how anyone could even get near that poor clearance. I could tuck my Y-pipe higher to the body, by another 3/4" but I would rather sacrifice a slight amount of clearance for y-pipe/body interference. My Y-pipe clears with almost 6" of clearance from the ground, and could tucked to almost 7" pretty easily. Also for what its worth, I would use the prefer the Edelbrock items even if ground clearance was sacrificed, the Pacesetter Y pipe is a piece of crap, flat spots, Y pipe/body clearance issues and **** poor merge make it an easy choice for me.
Thanks alot, thats all I needed to hear. I will be ordering mine tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad6as

Thanks for the photo. Nice.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JGA
Thanks for the photo. Nice.
MORE CLEARANCE THAN I HAVE.... Still, I have to adjust my y---can get 3-3-1/2" probably.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Since the collectors are 3.5" is the y-pipe also 3.5" where it meets the collectors then it reduces to 3" before the merge?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Dom
Since the collectors are 3.5" is the y-pipe also 3.5" where it meets the collectors then it reduces to 3" before the merge?
SEE OTHER THREAD.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

My Y-pipe clears with almost 6" of clearance from the ground, and could tucked to almost 7" pretty easily.
I just went out to take measurements. My car is completely stock. On the low spots of the body, I measured 7 1/2". If the pipe itself is 3", I don't see how you coulg get any better than 4 1/2" if the pipe was touching the body. Can someone please explain how 6" is possible?
Old 06-23-2007, 01:59 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

I just went out to take measurements. My car is completely stock. On the low spots of the body, I measured 7 1/2". If the pipe itself is 3", I don't see how you coulg get any better than 4 1/2" if the pipe was touching the body. Can someone please explain how 6" is possible?
Actually I think it is a little over 3" in diameter.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps the lowest parts of the car you are measuring are not parts where the Y-pipe has to run underneath....I am not sure. The ground clearance on my stock height - rear isolators is good, a beer can fits underneath easily. I have never ever scraped my Y pipe on anything and the roads here are absolutely horrible. Also the difference between the clearance for the Edelbrock Y pipe, and Pacesetter Y pipe is very little. I know because I have had both.

And yes the Y pipe is actually almost 3.25" and then after it merges it reduces down to 3".