Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new motor mounts......how do I get everything to line back up?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Installing new motor mounts......how do I get everything to line back up?

This is driving me crazy! I can't get the holes to line up to put the 18mm bolt back through. Raising or lowering the motor doesn't help. The holes don't need to go up or down; they need to go side to side.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Coal Mining Director

I had to use a big *** pry bar and pry it over.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite simply, its a royal pain in the *** to do it. For best results have a couple other people there to give you a hand moving the engine around to line it up better. Be patient and it will go.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently installed Poly mounts. PIA. But you simply loosen all the bolts, but do not take them out. I loosened everythign up and put a floor jack under the engine and just man-handled it into place. Eventually it lines up. It literally took me longer to install the mounts then it took to install the LT headers.

Good Luck.
John
Old 06-16-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll wait for a buddy to come over. I've been doing this H/C install by myself so far. The motor mounts have been the worst thing so far.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just used a hammer and gently tapped it in..... Didnt have to move the engine around too much.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Banned

Not trying to be a wise *** here - in all seriousness, make sure you have the motor mount pedestal facing the right way. If you have it backwards, the bolt holes will be off.

When I did mine I had to flip it a couple times to get it right
Old 06-17-2007, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Cliff notes for mount install...

Motor goes up and down, and up,.and down....(swearing...)and up, and down and up...and down....(swearing...)
6 billion hours later...motor goes up and down, and up,.and down....(swearing...)and up, and down and up (more swearing).

I just did a Converter, trans cooler, motor mounts, and painted exhaust in the last two weekends.
The motor mount install, made me want to shoot myself in the face.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Insert the jack under the car from in front of the one of the front wheels at a 45deg angle toward the oil pan. This way you can jack up and down and move the motor left to right. Once you get it close, a large prybar will help get that last inch or so. There's nuthing like drivin to avoid jail. Nuthin hones your mind and your instincts like necessity. So I taped a kilo of cocaine underneath the car and called the boys in blue. Now the way I figure it, you got about 2 minutes before they show up and you do five to ten. So whats it gonna be, fear or prison? It's real simple son, Cops are commin, they're is a kilo of columbian bam bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeperD
Insert the jack under the car from in front of the one of the front wheels at a 45deg angle toward the oil pan. This way you can jack up and down and move the motor left to right. Once you get it close, a large prybar will help get that last inch or so. There's nuthing like drivin to avoid jail. Nuthin hones your mind and your instincts like necessity. So I taped a kilo of cocaine underneath the car and called the boys in blue. Now the way I figure it, you got about 2 minutes before they show up and you do five to ten. So whats it gonna be, fear or prison? It's real simple son, Cops are commin, they're is a kilo of columbian bam bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?
wtf?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a real pain getting the bolts in. Like mnypitz stated, temporarily loosen the bolts that hold the mounts to the block, that will give you some more clearance for the 2 big bolts to go through the mounts.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

if you dont go wild with it use the trans as your prybar.

Search this Thread