Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable rocker arms...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable rocker arms...HELP!!

I recently installed a set of Rhoads lifters in my truck hoping they would restore some of my lost vacum at idle and make driving/tuning issues easier with my big cam.Long story short...I finished putting my motor back together with some other mods and...NO COMPRESSION!!(valves are open due to lifters) Well after talking to some people I've discovered that I need adjustable rocker arms and maybe shorter pushrods.My question is do any of you guys know who makes rocker arms that do not require modifying or machining the heads??I think I have it narrowed down to the Yella Terra's or the Comp's
TIA...Brian
Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yella terras
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally like the comps, but havent heard any failures of the YT's. If you have the money, you can also look at some of the true shaftmount rockers (TD, jessel, DRE)
Old 06-16-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6
yella terras
are you sure that I dont have to modify the heads with those?When I said that I had it narrowed down to Yella Terras or Comps,those where the two that seemed to me like they would work,but i'm not sure.How about the jessels I just found those while searching??any other input would be greatly appreciated,c'mon guys this is my baby
Old 06-17-2007, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

BUMP...anyone else know if there is a adjustable rocker arm available that does NOT require modifying the cylinder head,that is the main thing.I am relying on you car guys...most of the truck guys dont run adjustable valve train and I know nothing about it.Thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

The only rockers that I know of that require head mods are the Cranes. At the most the other will require clearencing of the valve covers.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
The only rockers that I know of that require head mods are the Cranes. At the most the other will require clearencing of the valve covers.
Thank DONAIMIAN,if I had to machine the heads...I would just pull the motor back apart and switch out the lifters to a non variable duration.How about the harland sharp's,will they work?
Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

i second this answer. if you are going to spend money on rockers, atleast buy some that actually make hp/trq. like the cranes do.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let me correct myself. The only rockers that I know of the require mods to the heads are the crane shaftmounts.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you mean don't require head mods or were you talking about the shaft mount rather than the stud mount.

The Crane stud mounts drop right in except for the perimeter valve covers that require a few notches. When I looked into this all of the shaft mount adjustables required some head modifications. I went with the Cranes and they drop right in without modifying the heads or the valve covers.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now you "need" adjustable rocker arms because the lifters are wrong. Maybe you should take a closer look at those lifters before blaming the rockers and pushrods for your problem. If you don't use pedestals(OEM, Scorpion) or shaft mounts(Jesel,Comp,Yella Terra, Harland Sharp) you'll have to buy new hardened pushrods which you were considering anyway. That's because the adjustable Comp Pro Mags you're considering use guide plates. The guide plates require hardened pushrods because the OEMs pushrods can't handle the scuffing from the guide plates. The Pro Mags are great. They have a much larger trunion bearing than most, but with the added cost of a new set of hardened pushrods you might consider some shaft mounts like the Jesels which don't require the purchase of new pushrods. It probably comes out to about the same cost. With the Pro Mags you'll find that you need to remove the thin aluminum oil baffle plates on the underside of the rocker covers(grind off rivets). With some brands of rockers cover spacers($300.00) may be required. That drives the price even higher. Let's see: rockers $500 or more, pushrods about $200 and spacers $300. You can do it for less, but I'd do a closer examination of those lifters just to be sure you really "need" new rockers before you pull out the plastic.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
So now you "need" adjustable rocker arms because the lifters are wrong. Maybe you should take a closer look at those lifters before blaming the rockers and pushrods for your problem. If you don't use pedestals(OEM, Scorpion) or shaft mounts(Jesel,Comp,Yella Terra, Harland Sharp) you'll have to buy new hardened pushrods which you were considering anyway. That's because the adjustable Comp Pro Mags you're considering use guide plates. The guide plates require hardened pushrods because the OEMs pushrods can't handle the scuffing from the guide plates. The Pro Mags are great. They have a much larger trunion bearing than most, but with the added cost of a new set of hardened pushrods you might consider some shaft mounts like the Jesels which don't require the purchase of new pushrods. It probably comes out to about the same cost. With the Pro Mags you'll find that you need to remove the thin aluminum oil baffle plates on the underside of the rocker covers(grind off rivets). With some brands of rockers cover spacers($300.00) may be required. That drives the price even higher. Let's see: rockers $500 or more, pushrods about $200 and spacers $300. You can do it for less, but I'd do a closer examination of those lifters just to be sure you really "need" new rockers before you pull out the plastic.
My wifes last name is Rhoads...and her uncle Jack Rhoads owns Rhoads lifters,Since we are family he wanted to give me a set of the best lifters that he makes.He heard through my father in law that I was having a hard getting my truck to idle with my previous cam and sent me a set of the v-max super lubes,which require a adjustable valve train(He thought I had one)I put them in along with a new cam(in sig)and I dont want to tear my motor back apart.So now I and a few others think I need to pull out the GREEN and get a new set of adjustable rockers and possibily shorter pushrods...I just want to know which ones are going to be the best choice for me..Thanks for the input,I appreciate it guys...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I ordered the Crane golds today from Summit,they come with pushrods,guide plates,studs for a little over $700 Thanks for all the replies and i'll let you know how they work
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just give me a call when they come in and we can plan out the attach on them.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why adjustable rockers? With the correct length pushrod a hydraulic lifter is going to eliminate the need for an adjustable valvetrain.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
Why adjustable rockers? With the correct length pushrod a hydraulic lifter is going to eliminate the need for an adjustable valvetrain.
One reason is you can optimize your wipe pattern in the center of the valve stem and also set your preload. Unless you get custom pushrods, you are kind of stuck with the preload you get with the lengths available.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2005SSR6Speed
Just give me a call when they come in and we can plan out the attach on them.
Will do....Thanks Joe

Quick Reply: Adjustable rocker arms...HELP!!