New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad GTO Drag Times

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad GTO Drag Times

Hey guys, I am a new owner of a 04 auto GTO. Another family member of mine drives a 02 z28 that I am used to racing at the nearby 1000ft track. Now I know that GTO's have bad wheel hop and I know that statistically an auto is slower. But my problem is that no matter what I do I cannot run consistant times. I'm not talkin' like within a few tenths either. I mean it seems that every time I go race the car my time slips are like a staircase, I know the launch is critical but my launches are all the same. My time from the first race to the last race usually is the first race being about a second and a half faster than the last...also I have noticed that my finishing mph is dropping around 7-10 mph towards the end of the night. Now let me also say this, by no means am I mistreating the car or doing somthing I'm not supposed to (as far as I know) and I'm not running back to back, I let it cool off after every race. Also another bit of imput the car has only 20k miles on it and was drove by an old man before I got it and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the car, it is PERFECT. The car is also stock except for a K&N intake. My question is this: Is there somthing in my computer that notices drag racing therefore reducing power to take away most chances of breaking somthing?...anything that would cause me to run an ok time the first run but never be able to match it again? I just do not think that it is driver error knocking me down that far...any comments are good ones at this point...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

something is for sure wrong? I had recently gone to the track and after a 1hr long drive there I got right inline after teching in and busted of a 8.7@83mph(1/8 mile track) and then hot lapped it 2 more time going 8.8@82 before letting it cool down a bit and then busted off a best of that day 8.6@84 and then hot lapped another 8.7,8.8,8.8 and then another 8.7! this was in a 02'WS6 but the A4 are always dead on consistent!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

The gto gets heatsoak real bad so it pulls timing and you run slower.You can't compare it to the f-body's they don't get the heat soak we get so they are more consistent.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkansasGTO
Now I know that GTO's have bad wheel hop and I know that statistically an auto is slower.
Hmmm... I did not know that. I always figured it was the other way around.

After market Lower Control Arms cured my wheel hop problem. You may want to look into a pair. What fluids are you using? Perhaps its time for a flush and fill, and an oil change. Falling off a couple of tenths after few runs is reasonable, but more than that is not. I'd check a spark plug as well.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Teching In

What kind of times are you running?
Are you on stock tires?
What is the track elevation?

All of this info would be better to help diagnose what is wrong with your car. I do not believe it is heatsoak in an LS1 GTO.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Teching In

heatsoak is not your problem. i would take it to a dyno for a tune man. money i know, but its worth it. when your times are way off, you can go take your car for a dyno pull. they could send you a tune via email or you could, like my friend does, get the software and take your laptop and actually see what your car is doing in between runs. air/fuel, charge, and see whats going on inside your cars computer. a tune sounds like it would really help your car. btw, an auto car will be more consistant on your time slips.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a friend of this particular owner and he is not kidding about it.

(Note: Remember this is a 1000' track so the times are weird. Usually add about 2.1 to 2.2 seconds and about 10 MPH to get 1/4 times)

He started the night at 12.1 @ 90 and seven passes and three hours later he was at 13.0 @ 83.

60' ft's were pretty consistent at 2.1 and 2.2 despite the huge differences in MPHs

My F-body was there and I ran consistent at 11.6 @ 93 w/ 2.1 60'.

Temp was in the 70's track elevation is 331' and was very humid had rained earlier in the day.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Teching In

The most common issue with the GTO is once again "Heat Soak" although I cannot see losing more than a few tenths each run and may half a MPH. On the GTO you can check the exact engine temp using the following steps.

**Hold down the Mode and Set buttons while you turn the key to access the super secret menu functions**

Quick Reply: Bad GTO Drag Times