Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

some audio question(sorry guys)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default some audio question(sorry guys)

ok 1st off let me say sorry in advance if these questions are stupid to some. ok so ive done a lil searching but im still confused so i want to get a audio system in my car and have read about the stock rear subs are crap and i think i read most of you just disconnect them? is that true? and i know that everyone replaces the doors with 6 1/2's but what about the back seats what sizes are those? is there any other speakers in the car? and i have a deck that i used the plug in harness instead of cutting wires so when i replace the speakers do i need to rewire the speakers or just splice them into the factory wires? and finally since im going to get subs and a amp when i take out the factory amp do i just discounnect it and pull it out or do i got to also pull all the wires for it out also? thanks for reading guys and once again sorry for the stupid questions thanks
Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

First of all, the stock subs are not crap per se. They're only 6.5" so they don't handle lower frequencies quite as well as a larger sub and they are made of materials that don't last forever but overall they're not bad. They tend to blow (especially at higher volume settings) because of the distortion from the factory head unit but even a good aftermarket speaker would do the same eventually.

The speakers you mostly hear people disconnecting are the small hatch speakers. Sure, there are those that preach that music should only be heard like at a concert - all the sound except the bass coming from in front (a front sound stage). They recommend having good door speakers and nothing else but a sub in the back. However, many of us prefer the surround sound experience (like being on the stage at a concert or like wearing headphones) so don't discount the value of rear speakers. There is no single "proper" way to listen to music - go with what sounds good to you.

The options for speakers are almost endless. A lot depends on your budget and taste in music. You can replace the door speakers with a pair of coaxial speakers and the sail panels with one of a couple of good replacement 6.5" subs (eD or CDT). Along with a decent head unit, you'll get better sound than stock for a relatively small investment and minimal rewiring.

Or, you can put the coaxials in the doors, midbass speakers in the sail panels, and a sub with amp in the back. Again, not too expensive and not much more wiring than the previous setup.

At the other end of the scale, you can gut the system and replace everything. That can be much more expensive depending on the components you choose but it allows you to customize the sound exactly as you want it.

All of the speakers in your car run through the Monsoon amp. If you decide to install your own amp to power all the speakers (not just a sub) then you can't just unplug the factory amp. You'll have rewire all the speakers to your new amp. It is possible to splice into the factory amp connector but why bother if you're redoing everything anyway.

All the speaker sizes and locations (along with a lot of other information and links) are detailed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i too like the sound of headphones instead of just at a concert lol so i guess ill just eventually replace all 6 speakers and either go with alpine or infinity since i like the 2 brands my deck is a alpine and i love it even its from 05 lol.so the doors and rears are 6.5 and i can just modify 6x9's in the hatch right? and i guess ill have to just pull everything and just re wire since i want to rid of the stock amp unless i can still use it with sub(s) and a amp. thanks alot man you really helped me alot so far
Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I wouldn't put 6x9s in the hatch area for a couple of reasons. First, If you're putting full-range speakers (rather than subs) in the sail panels you certainly don't need more speakers back there. And second, even if you do want speakers back there you don't want them to overpower the others so you don't want to go too big. Not to mention that an oval speaker will never have the sound quality of an equivalent round speaker. I recommend, at most, just putting some better quality 4" speakers there, maybe leaving the original speakers for a little fill sound, or even taking them out altogether.

You probably shouldn't count on using the Monsoon amp for just subs. The amp is actually quite good at what it does but it's not designed for that kind of setup.

You could use the factory amp for the door and sail panel speakers and still add a separate amp and sub. That is an economical way to improve sound without a lot of rewiring and it still leaves you the option of upgrading later.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks whitebird00 ill just put 61/2 on the doors and sails and might just delete the hatchs. and ill probally just leave the stock amp to run the doors and sails. i can just splice the new doors and sails to the original wires right? thnaks
Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Bear in mind that the Monsoon amp sends only low pass filtered signal to the sail panels so you won't get full range sound if you install coaxial speakers there. The easy way around that is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull the wires forward to the sail panels for your new speakers.

You can splice the new speakers into the factory wiring but you'll find that there are extra wires in the doors. The door speakers look like coaxials but they're actually separate components mounted together. Either use the pair of wires for the mid speaker (rather than the tweeter) or, even better, you can convert your coax to component by detaching the tweeter wire at the speaker terminals and wiring them separately. There are more details about this in the "replacing Camaro speakers" thread that is linked in the Monsoon FAQ.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds good you helped alot and sorry for the dumb questions. thank you