General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

traction control rear end into a non traction control 02 Camaro

Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control rear end into a non traction control 02 Camaro

OK here's the deal my rear end housing is trash, the axle tubes have broken loose from the main housing. I picked up a traction control housing of the same ratio 3:42. The traction control housing has 2 sensors one on each end of the axle. the non traction control has a sensor in the center on top of the main housing.
Here's the big question, Would it be better to try and remove the sensor ring from my existing ring gear assembly and have it press on the other ring gear assembly, or take my ring and pinion assembly and install it into the good rear end housing.

If I can have the sensor ring removed and pressed on the good ring gear assembly than I won't have to disturb the existing pinion depth and backlash on the good axle.

on the other hand my axle only has 33k miles, It would be nice to use the internals from it.
As far as setting pinion depth and backlash I guess I would want to start with the same shims that were with the original axle. I don't mind setting it up but sometimes it take several disassembly reassemblies to get it right.

Any thoughts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: traction control rear end into a non traction control 02 Camaro