General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Compressor Oil - Recharge... Another A/C thread..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor Oil - Recharge... Another A/C thread..

Would like to finally get the A/C functioning in my LS1 swap car. I'm using the entire LS1 A/C system out of a 2001. Anyway, back when I was disassembling the donor car and doing the mockup/assembly into the '73, I know I lost some oil from the various lines, possibly the compressor, and maybe even the condenser. Anyway, the system has been exposed now for nearly a year. I know I have to replace the accumulator but I am concerned with the oil. I've read that it absorbs moisture quite readily so I'd like to flush the system and refill it with fresh oil. Is this necessary if I put a vacuum on it, or will the moisture boil out of the oil? If its necessary to flush out the old oil, how do I do that? If its not necessary, how can I top off the oil in the system without knowing exactly how much I lost? I have read the new accumulator will take 4 oz, so I ASSUME the compressor takes another 4, and the last ounce is held in the lines? How do I know when there is enough oil in the system?

Lots of questions, I know, but I'd like to get this right. Planning on buying a vacuum pump and the manifold gauge set. Thanks!