Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Any way to remove Active Handling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any way to remove Active Handling?

I have a 99 FRC that has had a constant "service active handling" dillema since I bought it a year and a half ago. The car was a victim of the leaking battery syndrom and the computer that controls the ABS and active handling is all fucked up. I don't want active handling in the car any longer. I don't want tire pressure sensors either. Is there a way to just turn it all off? I'd like to keep the anti-lock brakes, but don't need to and I'd ditch the rest. I am tired of constant blinking lights and error messages. What I would really like is to be able to get in the car, not have to turn anything off or hit the re-set button a few times and just drive the damn thing with no flashing lights or other bullshit. Is there any logical way to do this? I have removed the traction control and ABS on my Camaro and I really don't miss any of it. I learned how to drive in older cars and I'm cool with it. I don't like driving a car that doesn't do what it's told. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Well you EBCM that controls your brakes is on the abs block on the front of the car. You can pull the fuse's for it and that will turn everything off but you will still get the warnings and lights.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty sure you can have it tuned out by a custom tuner.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 AM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by Zger
I have a 99 FRC that has had a constant "service active handling" dillema since I bought it a year and a half ago. The car was a victim of the leaking battery syndrom and the computer that controls the ABS and active handling is all fucked up. I don't want active handling in the car any longer. I don't want tire pressure sensors either. Is there a way to just turn it all off? I'd like to keep the anti-lock brakes, but don't need to and I'd ditch the rest. I am tired of constant blinking lights and error messages. What I would really like is to be able to get in the car, not have to turn anything off or hit the re-set button a few times and just drive the damn thing with no flashing lights or other bullshit. Is there any logical way to do this? I have removed the traction control and ABS on my Camaro and I really don't miss any of it. I learned how to drive in older cars and I'm cool with it. I don't like driving a car that doesn't do what it's told. Thanks.
I'll give you some advice that you don't want to read.

Active Handling and the ABS are critical components of the safety systems on your car. They need to be functioning properly to protect you, the car, and others on the road or at the drag strip.

I would suggest getting those systems fixed. There's a well established accident history on Corvettes without Active Handling.

In your current situation, spending money on engine upgrades while neglecting AH and ABS is very risky and a prescription for a future mishap.

Ranger
Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

i thought you could just hold down the button for 4 seconds and everything is turned off?? i have a C6 though, I like the active handeling, it really does alot more..ide keep it, be safe.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

A quick fix would be t pull the fues aor turn it off manualy.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ranger

Active Handling and the ABS are critical components of the safety systems on your car. They need to be functioning properly to protect you, the car, and others on the road or at the drag strip.

I would suggest getting those systems fixed. There's a well established accident history on Corvettes without Active Handling.

In your current situation, spending money on engine upgrades while neglecting AH and ABS is very risky and a prescription for a future mishap.

Ranger

If you liked old car you should of bought one of those. What you bought was a sophisticated machine that has many electronical controls that monitor your cars operation.

Take some time and clean up your PCM wiring with some electrical cleaner.

As far as the tire pressure sensors they can be coded out, no biggie.

What codes is your PCM throwing ?

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

It could be any easy fix. If it's EBCM unit they are rebuildable for about $350.

Get it fixed and be done with it. Active handling is great for bad weather conditions, especially rain.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Ranger

Is there anyone that you could reccomend to fix the active handling problems? I wouldn't mind traveling a bit as long as i know that it would get done correctly. Please don't tell me to take it to the dealer. I tried that once and they threw a bunch of parts at it, charged me four hours of labor and it's still not fixed. I'm sure there are people that know how to work on this stuff. I just don't know who.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:55 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by Zger
Is there anyone that you could reccomend to fix the active handling problems? I wouldn't mind traveling a bit as long as i know that it would get done correctly. Please don't tell me to take it to the dealer...I'm sure there are people that know how to work on this stuff. I just don't know who.
That's the right question.

I'd suggest you pull the stored codes and post them here. Error codes are the basic sign posts for diagnosing a specific problem.

Ranger
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ranger
Yeah you say that now! Wait till YOUR car locks up the brake at over 130 on the track. Happened to me yesterday and let me tell you that **** didn't feel like it was trying to protect me when I shot toward the wall!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Nasty
Yeah you say that now! Wait till YOUR car locks up the brake at over 130 on the track. Happened to me yesterday and let me tell you that **** didn't feel like it was trying to protect me when I shot toward the wall!
Just hold down the active handling button until it flashes that it is off.

There is a competition mode, normal mode and off.

Active handling was designed more for everyday driving and not race track use.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

look up ABSfixer.com i had the same problem when i bought my C5 3 years ago removed my EBCM sent it to them they sent it back in a couple days and i have never had a problem since.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:09 PM

This should be something that can be adjusted by a custom tuner.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

old thread is old

Quick Reply: Any way to remove Active Handling?