Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

descreening my maf?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question descreening my maf?????

Am i askiing for trouble when i descreen my maf. will that trigger any of the sensors to come on. reason for doing this.... is i'm about to install my slp lid and i want the best airflow possible..
Old 06-19-2007, 07:29 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by boola1341
Am i askiing for trouble when i descreen my maf. will that trigger any of the sensors to come on. reason for doing this.... is i'm about to install my slp lid and i want the best airflow possible..
I have done it on both of my cars, hell my Granatelli MAF's don't even come with a screen.

Just be careful if you pop it out not to damage the sensors (wires). Also some people with A4 cars have issues. I have no first hand proof of that, both of my cars are M6.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd leave it in. You won't see any gains. If you are lucky 1-2hp
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
I think its safer than sorry. I dont see any reason.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
+1
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CRAGER
I have done it on both of my cars, hell my Granatelli MAF's don't even come with a screen.

Just be careful if you pop it out not to damage the sensors (wires). Also some people with A4 cars have issues. I have no first hand proof of that, both of my cars are M6.

Peace,
Craig.

+1. You should be allright, but just be carefull. The Z/28 was de-screened (the very first thing I did when I got home) and never had a single problem, code whatever. My SS has the screen in it right now, but I'm fixin' to run a small dry shot so the screen is about to go.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

you will not see any gains and it can screw up the tunings. The screen promotes linear airflow for proper reads.

Most tuners, will make a customer buy a new screened MAF before they tune a car if yours is descreened. Also stay with the stock MAF. Aftermarket MAF can cause tuning issues, and stock MAF still work fine on big builds.

I have a 85mm SLP MAF and it was a pain to tune...

Also if you run an oil based filter make not to over oil the filter, it can cause many issues if oil flies up and covers the maf... It can even cause problems with A4 shifting!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has been descreened since 2001. No issues to report.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

A4 here and there is no problems shifting. It probably doesnt matter either way what you do with it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

my slp lid has some sealing issues. I open it up every few months to clean it and there are always a few small seeds or small leaves that the screen saves the motor from. The power gain is not worth the expense of new MAF
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
A4 here and there is no problems shifting. It probably doesnt matter either way what you do with it.

its becomes an issue, not from the descreaning but from too much oil on oil based air filters.

The oil coats the resisters on the maf and can really cause pcm issues.

GM will not warranty problems on a car if you have an oil air filter!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ibanez7
its becomes an issue, not from the descreaning but from too much oil on oil based air filters.

The oil coats the resisters on the maf and can really cause pcm issues.

GM will not warranty problems on a car if you have an oil air filter!
Ohh I see. Stock paper filter here lol.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Ohh I see. Stock paper filter here lol.
Your other alternatives to this are the higher flow, cleanable/reuseable, NON-OILED filters, i.e.; Amsoil EaA 83 or Fram Synwash (don't know the #).
Old 06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Your other alternatives to this are the higher flow, cleanable/reuseable, NON-OILED filters, i.e.; Amsoil EaA 83 or Fram Synwash (don't know the #).
I just take it out at teh track, the rest of the time I dont care about the 1 extra hp
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

mine's been out for 2 years, but i have a tune on my car. i did it to my sister's car a few months back and she hasn't complained about any SES popping on or hesistation on acceleration. it's a personal preference i think!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mines been descreened for about 2 years no problems. I can't say I saw a big difference in doing it but I would not recommend against it. Pop it out with a screw driver from the opposite side and save it. If you do feel the need to put it back you always can.

For those saying it makes no difference and can affect tuning... Well that is BS. Check out SLP's website and look at there MAF they specifically state that taking it out increases the CFM and recommend it for race only cuz there Lawyers say so
Old 06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Default leave it in...

This was mine...(cleaned out now) leave the screen, the crap would due more harm, IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails descreening my maf?????-fire-002.jpg  
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skifast87
my slp lid has some sealing issues. I open it up every few months to clean it and there are always a few small seeds or small leaves that the screen saves the motor from. The power gain is not worth the expense of new MAF
you should not have any debris in your MAF screen... you should check to make sure your lid to MAF connection is properly sealed... or get a new air filter

don't descreen the MAF... not worth it...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:41 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by ibanez7
you will not see any gains and it can screw up the tunings. The screen promotes linear airflow for proper reads.

Most tuners, will make a customer buy a new screened MAF before they tune a car if yours is descreened. Also stay with the stock MAF. Aftermarket MAF can cause tuning issues, and stock MAF still work fine on big builds.

I have a 85mm SLP MAF and it was a pain to tune...

Also if you run an oil based filter make not to over oil the filter, it can cause many issues if oil flies up and covers the maf... It can even cause problems with A4 shifting!
Wrong wrong wrong wrong.

No screen does NOT screw up tuning in any way whatsoever.

Most tuners do NOT make you buy a new one with a screen.

You do NOT need to stick with a stock MAF. More so with a FAST 90/90 set-up. You need the bigger MAF.

Jayson (MTI Owner) is one of the best LS1 tuners around, so I trust his judgement. So for my 427 SS with the FAST 90/90 set-up he said to go with the Granatelli 85mm MAF (does not come with screen) because the SLP 85mm leans out up top.

I have ran my SS without a screen for 6-1/2 years now, zero problems. I bought my T/A used 3 years ago and the screen was one of the first things to go. Again, zero problems. A tune will help as well.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had some debris in my MAF when I first took a look before I removed it. I suspect it was from previous owners that didn't know how to reattach the lid. If you have a proper filter and properly slip the tabs home, there shouldn't be anything getting through.

As for the airflow... In the how-to book, " How to Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V8's" by Will Handzel (who was a program manager working on development of the LS1), it states uncategorically in Chapter 3 that it is OK to remove the MAF screen. In fact, he suggests "The simple modification that should be performed to every MAF sensor is the gentle removal of the inside screen."

I quote from his book, "The screen is used to straighten the airflow coming into it to minimize false airflow readings, but on LS vehicles with straight intakes, the screen isn't required. On trucks, where the air tube approaches the MAF from the side, the screen should be left in unless you're willing to make calibration changes to account for the new readings."

So, listen the the naysayers, think a while, and take your pick. I say go ahead and remove it. Though my SOTP meter isn't finely tuned, I did feel a bit of increase in the crispness of throttle response.

Quick Reply: descreening my maf?????