American Iron and Camaro Mustang Challenge in H-town!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default American Iron and Camaro Mustang Challenge in H-town!

the classic Chevy vs Ford battle heats up once again this coming weekend (6-23/24)@ Motor Sports Ranch Houston just north of Angleton off HWY 288.
looks like some interesting battles stacking up this weekend.
how about a 3rd gen Camaro w/ a 400hp LS1/T56 combo against LS1 4th gens, Fox Mustangs in the AI class.
5 or so LT1 4th gens will once again take it to the Ford camp in the CMC class.
weather should be nice. we will run 4 races this weekend (2 each day).
if you missed the last event @ Texas World Speedway, you missed my clean sweep of 3 races and 3 wins. can i repeat that performance? only time will tell.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Im In Angleton Where Is This Track? Cr48 At 288 Thatmercedes Benz Track?
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, the Mercedes Benz of Sugarland Raceway. its on the east side of 288 1/2 mile north of the Angleton exit. i'll be there friday afternoon (1-2pm) getting set-up for the weekend. silver black #70 LT1 4th gen.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

White #9 Firebird
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how do u sign up to participate in this event for future races?
i understand its like a amateur road racing.
what are the classes and restrictions?
hopefully all them hours of GranTurismo will pay off
Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

www.nasaproracing.com
www.camaromustangchallenge.com

The first thing to do is participate in Race Craft. RC is a series of events where instructors "qualify" you to move into wheel to wheel racing.

If your GT experience serves you well, you can have a provisional license in a couple weekends.

To participate in wheel to wheel racing, you have to bring a car that meets class rules. Then, it's off to the races ...

You should come out this weekend, nose around, snag a ride for a few laps. Make sure you introduce yourself. It's not anything like the pits at a drag strip. There are no clicks, no clans and no rivalry's. You are apt to see the Bowtie crowd working on a Ford and vice versa.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well road racing and open tracking is not like drag racing - you cant just show up, pay your money and run. most organizations require you to go thru thier Comp Licensing Program. for total newb's, this will require you to run in HPDE (High Performance Drivers Education) for a while (6 weekends or so). this is where you can just pay and drive. once you have a license, then you can race. NASA will recognize Comp Lic's from other orgs such as SCCA and PCA and others. if you have been to an accredited racing school they will evaluate you for at least one weekend prior to issuing a Comp License.
best way to do anything is to talk w/ someone who does what you want to do. show up to an event or two to watch and see what its all about. i made the move from drag racing to open tracking (HPDE) back in 99 and havent looked back since. its the smartest move i ever made. w/ the class i run in, you cant be out performed by someone who can out spend you. the rules are to restricted. mose road racing classes are set up this way.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

results-
sat i took the pole. R1, led every lap and took 1st. R2 was a rain race and was inverted! worked up to 2nd in half of a lap, and picked up 1st about 2 laps later. gave up- the lead w/ about 2 laps to go due to a missed shift (3 times in a row!!!). took 2nd. both races on sat i got hit in each door. the driver side is kinda F'ed.

sun - pole. R3 standing start. dropped back to 2nd on the start due to AI traffic, but moved back into 1st by the exit of turn two. led the whole race. R4 was another invert. i really got hosed here. finished 4th, but raced an AI car who thought he was kicking *** by racing an pack of CMC cars. i finally tapped my intentions on his back door. after fighting this guy for 1/2 the race or more, he pointed me by. too little too late. only had 2 laps to catch and work Al Fernandez and Adam Ginsberg. another lap and i would have had them both.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Started the weekend out in the 1:57s. Lots of rust as I've been out of racing for over a year.

I looped the car almost every session. Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes ...

Last race was a good battle and I finished 4th over all, 2nd in CMC and 1st in CMC2. Ran pretty consistent 1:52s.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rules for the Camaro Mustang Challenge are quite specific. Are there other events that allow more "street" cars to compete?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the car is considered in any way to be a street car, Time Trials (NASA TT) is where you want to be.