Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

AC/DC Power converter - NEED HELP PLEEEASE

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default AC/DC Power converter - NEED HELP PLEEEASE

Okay heres the deal. I wanted to make a custom boom box for my work and around the house. I have a 400 watt car amp and a 100 watt cd player along with two speakers on the sides of the box. I basically have everything on one small box. I did not want to run a full size car battery for this set-up. Do they sell a converter where I can plug my amp and cd player into that will allow me to plug it right into the wall to power my system. I came across this item on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/500-1000-Watt-Po...QQcmdZViewItem. -I just want to make sure this will work or if it's the wrong converter for my set-up - Mike
Old 06-19-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope thats not what you want if im reading correctly... you are trying to run a car amp off of a 120v house plug correct?

you need something that goes from 120v to 12v not 12v to 120v

the thing you are looking at on ebay would make it were you could run an xbox or ps2 in your car
Old 06-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

An ordinary car battery charger will work as long as it can put out enough current to power your amp and player.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
An ordinary car battery charger will work as long as it can put out enough current to power your amp and player.
Yes and No. Car battery chargers are a VERY risky proposition for home audio use. He'll have the current to supply the amp, but the voltage will probably be unregulated, and subject to significant fluctuations. Of course he could always go with a car battery/charger combo, which would work well until he lights a cigarette or candle near the thing

What's really needed is a dedicated DC power supply, but you're talking up to $200 dollars for one that will supply enough current to drive his subs. For that kind of cash, why not just plop down for a decent HT sub amp (many of which have built in crossovers) instead of trying to convert 120V AC to 12V DC?

Last edited by Purple Hayz; 06-20-2007 at 09:18 PM. Reason: added links
Old 06-22-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about this converter will this work to power my amp and cd player to run it into the house without using a full size car battery
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pyramid-20-Amp-R...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by detroit_903
What about this converter will this work to power my amp and cd player to run it into the house without using a full size car battery
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pyramid-20-Amp-R...QQcmdZViewItem

I think you'll be okay with that PS. 20 amps is a decent amount of current, so as long as you don't plan to hook up additional amps and huge subs I think you'll be fine. Cheers