Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Help With Lowering a 99 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink Need Help With Lowering a 99 Firebird

I have read the "Lowering for newbies" thread, and need a lil more help. I am not real familiar with suspension systems. I want to drop my stock 99 firebird v6. I am also ion a budget, so the cheaper the better. I want to drop the rear a little more than the front since it sits higher than the front. I guess my main goal is to attempt to make the car hug the rims/tires a lot closer. I want a pretty good drop, something noticable, but also drivable. I live in a pretty flat area and don't have to worry about hills/uneven ground too much. I do realize i will have problems with scraping, but i had a lowered camaro and have learned to manage it. My car has the original 16inch chrome wheels still on it and i plan on keeping them on, for at least now. Any suggestions on what shocks/springs i should go with and what kind of cost i am looking at, as far as parts and labor? Any info is helpful, i am fairly new to the whole car scene, so i am trying to soak up info like a sponge and hopefully learn a lil bit, thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you'll have to get new shocks in order to go lower (and arguably need new shocks even at stock ride height), why not start with a set of Koni SAs and do the front lower perch/rear heater hose mod?

It's not a significant drop, but it IS noticable, and it's effectively "free" as, like I said, you'll need shocks anyway, and you can get drop without changing springs.

If you decide you want more later, you can buy a set of springs and an adjustable PHB.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is their a good web site to find this stuff at?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

To order SA just call Sam Strano!

I would go with SA's not use springs.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

You can technically lower your car with different springs and stock shocks, its just not recommended for the correct damping. Keep searching, you will find buttloads of info on suspension.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

If you're on a budget, the KONI shocks probably aren't for you...I've got Bilsteins with Eibach Pro springs and it KICKS ***. Stock shocks won't work well with lowered springs. Do both at the same time or you'll be replacing blown shocks soon after.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cocimitch
If you're on a budget, the KONI shocks probably aren't for you...I've got Bilsteins with Eibach Pro springs and it KICKS ***. Stock shocks won't work well with lowered springs. Do both at the same time or you'll be replacing blown shocks soon after.
Doesn't that combo cost only a little less than a set of four Koni's by themselves?