Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much hp can a stock LS1 handle

how much hp can a stock LS1 handle..block, pistons, rods.. etc
Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

i'm new to the site as well, but if i read correctly a good tuned LS1 can handle upwards of 600rwhp. i'm sure the ones with more experience can chim in.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use your stickies at the top of each forum page. Stock internals can hold somewhere near 500 rwhp if I remember correctly-your problem will be the transmission if you have an M6-its easy to break with stock power let alone anything additional.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Launching!

I read an article in GMHTP, a year ago or so I think, that there was someone running around 800hp on the stock short block. I believe the car was a black Camaro. As for the rest of the drive train and engine, I can't remember. I just thought to myself, "That's something I wouldn't try".
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

500-550 reliably... any more and the days are numbered. my tranny lasted a week with 460
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran 576rwhp/590rwtq on the stock bottom-end for 3 years until I pushed a head-gasket. When the engine was torn down, it still looked new. I've read about guys (Harlan comes to mind) who've hit 700+rwhp on the factory shortblock.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Joker
i'm new to the site as well, but if i read correctly a good tuned LS1 can handle upwards of 600rwhp. i'm sure the ones with more experience can chim in.
That would be the upper limit by far and wouldn't last too long.

Use your stickies at the top of each forum page. Stock internals can hold somewhere near 500 rwhp if I remember correctly-your problem will be the transmission if you have an M6-its easy to break with stock power let alone anything additional.
You need to take your own advice. The m6 breaking easily at 500rwhp, I don't think so. Now a 4l60E on the other hand is a different story.

I read an article in GMHTP, a year ago or so I think, that there was someone running around 800hp on the stock short block. I believe the car was a black Camaro. As for the rest of the drive train and engine, I can't remember. I just thought to myself, "That's something I wouldn't try".
There's no way. Maybe stock cubic inches, or stock crank, or stock block, but not the short block.

I ran 576rwhp/590rwtq on the stock bottom-end for 3 years until I pushed a head-gasket. When the engine was torn down, it still looked new. I've read about guys (Harlan comes to mind) who've hit 700+rwhp on the factory shortblock.
Harlan was running the stock crank and block. I'm almost positive he had forged pistons and rods. What kind of setup were you running?
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777

There's no way. Maybe stock cubic inches, or stock crank, or stock block, but not the short block.

I looked it up, something I didn't think of, duh, stock block with stock crank, sorry about that. He has forged pistons and connecting rods....Here's the website with the article..

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ro_ss_feature/
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

From all the threads I have read on this topic I have come to the following conclusions:

300-400 rwhp is relatively safe on just about everything. M6's might have a problem with the 10 bolt rearend (if sticky tires are used) and autos might start having issues with the 4L60E (if a lot of drag racing is done).

400-500 rwhp is relatively safe for the motor but is dangerous for the stock 4L60E transmission in the autos and the stock clutch in the manuals.

500-600 rwhp is hit or miss on the motor, deadly for the 4L60E, deadly for the stock M6 clutch and in drag racing applications will also be dangerous to 10 bolts and stock suspensions.

600+ rwhp is basically a ticking time bomb for everything. You'd want to upgrade the shortblock, transmission, suspension, fuel pump, oil pump, driveshaft (if aluminum), rearend, ect.

All the above is only accurate when safe tunes are present. Running too rich or too lean can cause a variety of bad things to happen at any power level. My advice to anyone who does not want (or can not afford) to spend a small fortune is to keep the goal under 500 rwhp. 400-450 rwhp can be done without breaking the bank too badly.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
What kind of setup were you running?
Heads/cam and a little wet 100shot. The cylinder pressure on a low RPM activation probably weakened the head-gasket and it let go later on...
You are right about Harlan using forged slugs...I forgot about that. The stock hypers are pretty tough for what they are, but won't suffer detonation lightly...especially the ringlands.

Quick Reply: how much hp can a stock LS1 handle