General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

belt noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt noise?

Whenever I start my car (it's been like this since I got the car) there is some sort of clanking noise coming from under the hood (not super loud, but annoying to me nonetheless)...it seems to have something to do with the belts or a pulley or something...and I hate it. I told someone at the dealership about this awhile back and he asked me if it went away when the car reaches operating temperature...I said yes, because it does..He said that was normal for these cars...I really didn't believe him, but I didn't press the issue because it does go away when it reaches temp. I just wanted to know if anyone elses car does this or was this guy just pulling my leg? And if so, is there any way to get rid of it? I shouldnt want to cringe when I start my car, especially if I am trying to show it off to somebody. Thanks!

-J
Old 06-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Maybe piston slap if it goes away once its warm
Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by WS6TA01
Maybe piston slap if it goes away once its warm

Your car is fine, and there is nothing you can do about the noise.....except turn up the radio!!!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a squirrel,be careful...but seriously this has been discussed many times,piston slap more than likely
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Default Idler Pulley

On C5s there is a TSB out that my dealer didn't know about that says the idler pulley on the accessory drive (the main drive not the A/C) may have been overtorqued causing the squeel at less than 1000rpm. My dealer replaced the tensioners, both belts, and the water pump but the squeel came back. It is probably the idler pulley. When I can't hear the radio I will eventually replace it. You can replace it by just loosening the belt at the tensioner and SLIPPING the belt off the groovless pulley then removing and replacing the pulley and replacing the belt. Gatorback belts are supposed to be good for otherwise undetectable squeeks and squeels. BIGHANK

Quick Reply: belt noise?