Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 382 Stroker - Solid Roller? FAST Intake? Spray? - Need Guidance

Old 06-21-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Considering 382 Stroker - Solid Roller? FAST Intake? Spray? - Need Guidance

Considering 382 Stroker - Solid Roller? FAST Intake? - Need Guidance

I've been away from the LS1/LSX scene for about two and half years due to some personal stuff. I had a LS1 TEA Stage 2.5 LS6 head engine in the works when I had to step away from the hobby. I still have all of my parts core LS1 engine, Callies 4 inch stroker crank, LS6 intake and TEA heads etc.

I did a search last night on the 382 Stroker and didn't really find much. I'm guess this is mostly because people have moved toward the LS2 with the bigger bore?

The first time around I wasn't sure if I should use the stroker crank or save it for a later project. Most of the 382's three years ago were making good torque but seemed like they should make more horse power.

The car this engine is going in will see some daily driver use. Is an A4, will have ~3200 stall (Yank) and 3.73's.

The best header, I can find is a LS1 1 3/4 long tube (sort of Mac like in apperance) custom made for the LS1 to 3rd Gen swap.

Should I use the Callies crank or save it for something else?

What would a FAST Intake set up w/90 TB gain vs an LS6 Intake with a 382 Stroker?

For the planned application, should I consider a Solid Roller cam? I've never had a car with a Solid Roller. Being that the engine will go into a 3rd Gen Camaro, checking lash etc isn't going to be all that hard to do. Would a solid roller really gain much if I used the LS6 intake on a 382? If I go solid would the FAST set almost be required?

Spray is also a option for later on. The heads have the Nitrous exhaust port.

I would appreciate serious comments. I have the money in hand for the project. I'm want to take time to plan this out correctly and your input and comments are welcome.

Should I scrap the 382 idea and get an LS2 block for this project? I'm not really keen getting another block as I have an LS6 and LS1 block in the garage.

B-Bird
Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since youve been gone, a well thought out 382 stroker will break 500RWHP with a hydraulic cam and stock cating (but ported) head. 6 Speed car ofcourse. Search for Tony Mamo (he used AFR heads) and Jason from thunder. Thoes were both nice setups.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to my 382ci setup:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/478493-382ci-dyno-s-505rwhp-478rwtq.html

Let me know if you have any questions. The cam was pretty mild and a very streetable setup.

Jason

Search this Thread