Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T/A - HID Retro Project using TSX projectors, what HID kit to use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/A - HID Retro Project TSX projectors, what HID/Relay kit to use?

Curious, it seems like all the aftermarket kits out there are rebased bulbs, but none use the actual stock D2S bulb.

Since our stock lights on the TA are H4703, how would I connect using the stock wiring harness to the TSX Projector housing that uses a D2S bulb?

Do I have to go to OEM ballasts and connector, or can I just use an aftermarket kit, and which one if I can. Never seen one up close so this is why I'm asking the generic question.

Also, I see a lot of people recommend relay harnesses to reduce the large spike in ampers when starting up the ballast/ignitor to keep stress off the stock wiring... where do I get one for our cars?

Thanks for any direction!

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 06-21-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good move going with true projectors for your HIDs
http://www.hidplanet.com has a message forum and FAQ with lots of good info on HID retrofits including wiring harnesses. Definately use a wiring harness that has relays. It's cheap insurance to keep your eletrical system working properly for the life of the vehicle.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

any pics of the setup you got going?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any idea what happened to hidtech? Not sure if they are still around, but no response since thurs...??
Old 08-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

any progress?

Here is another good site:
http://high-intensity.org/
Old 08-26-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got them in, will take some time though to pop some pictures. Basically got tired of fooling around with them, so I just threw everything together, figuring on fixing them up cosmetically in the winter when the car is off the road.

Used Hella ballasts, phillips D2S's, and TSX projectors (has clear smooth lens).

Took a lot of retrofitting. Hard to explain without pics, but basically you take a 3/4" piece of particle board, or wood, doesn't matter, cut it to fit through the black retaining piece that holds the stock lamp in place. Cut out a perfect, and very tight hold that will fit the projector, perfectly centered (takes a lot of measuring and tracing). Cut out the hold, dremmel a few places for guide holes for the pins that are on back of the TSX projector to slip in and lock in place.

Mount this piece of wood onto a 1/4" piece polycarbonate that is trimmed to the same outer dimension as the stock lamp. In essence, what you want to do is have the black retaining piece that holds the lamp to hold the polycarbonate in the same way, and the piece of wood is attached by screwes to the polycarbonate (which slips through the retaining piece). You will have to cut a hold in the polycarbonate to fit the projector through.

After this you will need to cut the lamp bucket quite a bit so you can fit the back of the projector through. I used a dremmel and chisel. To get to the rear bucket you will need to remove the metal cup, or whatever it is, and also cut this with a dremmel. I also removed the flip up headlight cover, painted piece to make things easier, just a few screws, no biggie.

I mounted the projectors behind the radiator mount on both sides with double sided velcro tape, home depot stuff for concrete hanging, its grey looking in color.

Fiberglass the wood so it does not absorbe any moisture. Fit the projector on, bolt it on, then mount the whole piece into the bucket. Connect the ballast, aim lights, and your off to the races.

Quick Reply: T/A - HID Retro Project using TSX projectors, what HID kit to use?