Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

not a good sound! (video included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default not a good sound! (video included)

Well my car is making a bad noise now. Its a 94 TA with 95,000miles, an M6, the bolt on goodies, and a cam. She has been running perfect until today when out of nowhere she decided to start acting up. I was just sitting at the drive through at the bank when it started to pop real bad and the shifter started shaking. After I got my money I tried to drive off but then it backfired extremely loud! Anytime I got on the gas it backfired like a gun! So I parked to the side to see if I could figure anything out. Nothing so I decided to drive home. As I drove you can just feel the shifter shaking real bad anytime you press the gas. It goes in and out of gear just fine and the clutch feels fine. The backfiring really calmed down as you can see in the vid it only does it at the high RPM's. At the bank where it all started at it backfired when I touched the gas!

So I get home and get her up in the air to look around and check for anything obvious. My tranny mount is fine and the sound seems to be coming from right below the shifter in the tranny. I could put my hand on it and feel it everytime it popped. Here is a vid, listen when it is under the car you can hear it good.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something is up with your engine man.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a weird ticking you got. its doesnt have a constant tick, more random. def not a rod ticking.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a new revelation! When I push in the clutch it stops the popping and I can rev however high without it backfiring! Don't know what that means though, does anyone? The clutch doesn't even have 8,000 miles on it and the flywheel was re-surfaced when the clutch was done. And like I said it goes in and out of gear just fine, it just pops when the clutch isn't pressed. The last time my clutch went out the car wouldn't go into gear period so I am lost. Maybe a flywheel problem or something?

The first thing I checked was plugs and wires hoping one had come off. They are all on and new because they got done with the cam and valvetrain this past December. At most they got 4,000 miles on them. Opti has maybe 10,000 miles. Not only that I know its not coming from the engine bay, I just flat out don't hear anything there. Also not throwing any codes.

Last edited by porksoda; 06-22-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to take a complete guess, but if the sound is in the bellhousing I'm going to say broken pressure plate finger, if it's inside the tranny could be a ton of stuff. Sorry I can't be more help.