Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can I just unplug my blown monsoon sub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Can I just unplug my blown monsoon sub?

I've got a blown driver's side sub right beside the rear seat. It rattles like crazy and I really have to turn the volume down to keep it from rattling. I'd like to just unplug this blown sub while I wait to order a pair of replacements (I'm sure the other will blow soon !)

Will this hurt anything? I know that this can change the load that the amp/HU sees. Thanks for an inputs you can give.

Danny
Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can unplug it for as long as you want, but when you change the "woofer" and you have a stock DVC "woofer" and you get a SVC "woofer" use the long pair of wires!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Gordon. I'm planning on getting another DVC sub. I might just get a pair of stockers but I may get something better but they'll be DVC.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
You can unplug it for as long as you want, but when you change the "woofer" and you have a stock DVC "woofer" and you get a SVC "woofer" use the long pair of wires!
given the choice though....definitely want DVC.

If the sub is blown.....there is nothing going to it anyway -- it's just the same as if it were unplugged.

Also -- is your other speaker still working? I just found out the other day there might be some dependency on the other side (at least for some models/years)... someone mentioned to me that if they disconnected one -- they both stopped working...hmm
Old 06-23-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

ha.....great -- thanks for the curse man -- I go outside to mess with my system more and had everything off to just listen to sails to see if deadening helped much and the driver's side stopped working... however, the speaker isn't blown -- I still get a reading of 1.5-1.7 ohms across the VC -- which is just about right for nominal impedance to be 2 ohms.... maybe I'll try swapping that sail with the other side and see if they both work/which one doesn't/etc. just to make sure it's the amp.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

posted by fred,
If the sub is blown.....there is nothing going to it anyway -- it's just the same as if it were unplugged.
I guess it's not totally blown, then. It rattles real bad but its still getting power. If I turn the volume up some, it rattles. I have to keep the volume real low.

Also -- is your other speaker still working? I just found out the other day there might be some dependency on the other side (at least for some models/years)... someone mentioned to me that if they disconnected one -- they both stopped working...hmm
My passenger side sub is working just fine. Now it sounds like if I disconnect my bad driver's side sub, the other one may quit working as well . Oh well, it'll still be better than this rattling that I'm getting!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

it will probably continue to work -- not sure why it wouldn't.....but I've heard that has been the case before -- I'll have to mess with mine tomorrow and try disconnecting it -- the speaker isn't blown, but doesn't play (amp bad) -- a LOT of people claim to have two blow at the same time -- maybe the case is just one blows completely and the other doesn't work then - while mine still works because it isn't "blown" just the amp channel is likely messed up........

not sure what I'm trying to say - but I would disconnect it just to get rid of the annoying noise -- it wont hurt anything by doing this -- they run off of separate channels on the Monsoon map.