Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Break Fade Symptom???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Break Fade Symptom???

ok, here is the deal: I have powerslot slotted rotors on my car with some pep-boys pads (it was the last warm weekend last yr and i forgot to order pads and needed the rotors installed asap so i just did it). i notice when im going fast and hit my breaks, sometimes my "no trac" light pops up on my dash and the peddle/car gives me the same feeling as when ur sliding on snow/ice. Kinda like the breaks give out. This only happenes when i press my breaks hard/sudden while traveling highway speeds. mind you that my tires do NOT screech when this happens. is this just my ABS kicking in?

This is f'in annoying, and down right scary as hell when it happens and ur not expecting it to (like tryin to advoid an accident). is this a break pad issue; will a set of HAWKS solve this? Or is this a caliper/piston issue? i have twin pistons up front and single in the back. Listen, i want my damn car to "stop on a dime and give me change" when i hit my damn breaks, i dont want to feel like im sliding on ice and feel like my breaks are giving out on me.

Case and point: it was raining in april (go figure) and some lady slid out going around a corner and hit the curb. Well traffic went from a 60 mph cruz to a dead stop and i hit my breaks and started to slide around the corner. Im not stranger to sliding (on purpose) so i want able to handle it, but my car wouldnt stop. That damn "no trac" light popped up and i slid. There was no screech, so i kno my tires didn't break traction.

how do i stop this ?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that is the ABS. If you really want to stop on a dime with these cars though, I'm pretty sure you're going to need to upgrade at least the front brakes. The Corvette conversion kit is probably your cheapest solution, but if you are going to spend that kind of money and can afford to, you might as well step up to a Brembo or Wilwood kit.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wtf goods that??? Id rather have the car able to stop; then and ONLY THEN kick on the ABS so i can steer to avoid it.

so, 4 pistion calipers, steel braided lines, and pads upgreades wont do any good. i have to go bigger?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pads and rotors will not cause this issue. I would scan for codes and monitor the car with the scan tool while driving. Even before I did that, I would pull the wheels and inspect the brakes. Look for anything leaking or abnormal. Maybe a wheel speed sensor went bad.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ralls
Pads and rotors will not cause this issue. I would scan for codes and monitor the car with the scan tool while driving. Even before I did that, I would pull the wheels and inspect the brakes. Look for anything leaking or abnormal. Maybe a wheel speed sensor went bad.

like i said it ONLY happens when im going highway speed and i have to hit the breaks hard (like someone infront of me comes to a complete stop b/c they r dumb) and i have to go from like 45 mph to 5 mph in 30 ft or something like that. it is like the calipers cant grab hard enough to hold onto the rotor and stop the momentum.

btw, there is no SES or Check Engine light on, or one that even flashes on. and if it was the wheel speed senor, wouldnt it happen while driving?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
btw, there is no SES or Check Engine light on, or one that even flashes on. and if it was the wheel speed senor, wouldnt it happen while driving?
Not exactly. Speed sensors are weird some times. I worked on a customer car that would throw the ABS light on when you got to a complete stop. Like it would come on right as you got to 1 mph. Replaced the speed sensor and all good.
It might not be it, but that's one logical answer.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its not the "ABS INOP" light, it is the "NO TRAC" light
Old 06-23-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know when I lost traction in the snow, my low trac light came one. I don't have traction control either. ABS Inop light lets to know if the car notices something wrong with the ABS.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea it is my "LOW TRAC" light that came on, Id like to not have low traction. lol. Seriously tho, that snow thing happens to me in the winter, so u kno the "feeling" im talkin about. if it was my "ABS INOP" i'd be worried.

Do u have an recomendations on high performance pads? I have heard that the dust from HAWK pads can kill your rims.

I don't have the $$$ for a big brake kit yet, so if i can "beef" up my stock system that'd be nice. I already have PowerSlot rotors...any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hawk pads are what I have. Just as they say, it was like night and day. Whatever stock one's that were on the car had to get really hot to bite. But the hawks grip right away. The ceramic hawk pads don't dust hardly at all. I have black rims so brake dust will easily make the color dull. But it takes a weeks worth of driving till my wheels begin to look dirty. Do you have an LS1? Your brakes are a lot better than my LT1. I'm more of a straight liner, so I don't care about nice brakes.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea its an LS1. Powerslot recomends HAWK pads, but they dont say weither it is the regular ones or the HP series. So i dunno what to get. I guess i can go with them, steel braded lines and see where im at until i have the money and want to buy a brake kit.

Also, does ANYONE sell 4 piston calipers to fit stock size rotors and use stock mounts or am i stuck with 2 piston till i buy a big kit????
Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know when I lost traction in the snow, my low trac light came one. I don't have traction control either. ABS Inop light lets to know if the car notices something wrong with the ABS.
IF U HAVE A LOW TRACTION LIGHT...you have traction control...
Old 06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
IF U HAVE A LOW TRACTION LIGHT...you have traction control...
No, thats ABS kicking in, not traction control. They sound the same but aren't. If my "low trac" light comes on, then the brake pedal will pulsate, which is ABS. Traction control is from spinning the rear tires. I can do that all day long and the PCM will never know.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the feeling too back with 8K on the car, turned out the ABS went bad and they replaced it under warranty. Same symptoms. Worth getting checked out by the dealer if you can. Since then, car stops fine.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think it is an ABS module issue; the car stops fines normally (99% of the time), it is just under really sudden hard stops the "NO TRAC" light comes up sometimes. It doesn't ALWAYS happen, it has to be a really sudden highway speed stop. it gives me the same feeling like im sliding on ice/snow. there is also no "SES", "CHECK ENGINE SOON", or "ABS INOP" lights that are on or that even flash when it happens. If it was a faulty unit, i'd imagine that the "ABS INOP" light would at least flash when it happens if not stay on always. the only light that flashes is "NO TRAC".

I could flush the brakes, i know powerslot recomends DOT4 and i believe i have DOT3. I personally never bled or had the brake system bled by anyone and it is black as ****. I could also throw on some steel braided lines and put some HAWK pads on it like powerslot also recomends.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have some powerslots and hawk pads and theyre fine when its warm. But I had it out a couple times over winter. Real cold and a lil wet and the things didnt seem like they wanted to work.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

We can keep talking about it, but you need to do something to fix it. Have you inspected your brakes yet? Scan tools out there will monitor wheels individually so you can figure out if something is malfunctioning on the left or right side. No need to change to DOT4. All it is is a higher boiling point.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
I have some powerslots and hawk pads and theyre fine when its warm. But I had it out a couple times over winter. Real cold and a lil wet and the things didnt seem like they wanted to work.

whats do you mean?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We can keep talking about it, but you need to do something to fix it. Have you inspected your brakes yet? Scan tools out there will monitor wheels individually so you can figure out if something is malfunctioning on the left or right side. No need to change to DOT4. All it is is a higher boiling point.
yea nothing is bent or broke or leaking
Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you guys for ALL your input. I think next weekend ill do the pad swap, bleed the system (since i haven't done it yet, and dont think the previous owner ever did either), and put the steel braded lines on. then ill see where im at

Quick Reply: Break Fade Symptom???