General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

windows and radio quit - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windows and radio quit - help!

97 firehawk

Yesterday the windows quite after I rolled them up, the radio also had no power. It happened just after I washed the car and they started working about an hour later - they both strated woring at the same time

A few days ago in a light sprinkle I went to roll the windows up and they wouldn't go up at first.

The obvious answer is that I'm sure I am going to hear "don't get the car wet" but that isn't the right way to fix it. I'm looking for trouble spots that you guys can suggest.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Fuses.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

mine does this too and if i hit the dash a couple times the windows and stereo will come ack on...im thinkin ground strap maby???
Old 06-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

I was all prepared for teh fuses, this happened 40 miles from home - then everything started working.

Ground straps? Good, but anyone have an idea of where I can start looking. Somehow I am guessing that these two components are sharing either the same power or the same ground. When I got home I tried looking for any problem ares that were apparent, but couldn't find any, all the wires got in a big bundle.

I attempted to shake all the wires I could under tha dash and hood (tracing the giant cable back from the battery that runs the stupid boom boom stereo that previous owner installed). I couldn't get it to fade out again, I almost think that an intermittant problem is worse than if it would of just quit and stayed broke.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Check retained acc. power relay;maybe bad relay or poor connection to harness.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks I will check it when I get back from work - Where is that at?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

on 98 and later it is part of bcm,which is behind glovebox in front of blower motor.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default !!!!!!

Originally Posted by jc1270
Check retained acc. power relay;maybe bad relay or poor connection to harness.
jc1270 hit there, its the power retain module and the express down module for the windows, they're wired in series, they're relays that tend to heat up and fail as windows and radio not working. They are expensive new, I remember I asked the dealer and was quoted about $140 for one of them. Do what I did, go to the junkyard and get them from a trashed car, tell them that the are for the radio, they don't know what they are for, and for about $5.00.... you get your problem solved.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 PM
SCRWS6

I`m living in Southern California,(very dry) went home to Illinois for a visit(was very wet on the way home) I kept blowing the fuse that controlled the rear lights and the gauge lights....until I hit Utah and the car dried out, then everything was fine...the only thing I could think of was that maybe the hot dry weather had cracked the rubber somewhere and was letting water into a vital area and shorting it out....I was limited on time and driving during the day so no real time to troubleshoot....kinda sound like your problem?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe - It is hard to say I know once the car got wet everything quit until it dried out.