Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Solution: IF YOUR CAR WON'T START, READ THIS FIRST

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solution: IF YOUR CAR WON'T START, READ THIS FIRST

ok.... so recently, for about 2 weeks, whenever i turned the key to my 98 T/A it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't. all the power was on, but it wouldn't start until i waited like 5 minutes and tried it again. i got advice from a lot of different people. spent $155 on a new starter and 5 hours installing it, still had the problem. i was told then to try buying a new ignition switch... thankfully before doing that, i tried something else...

SHOULD THIS EVER COME UP FOR ANYONE ELSE, if you have a spare key, try that, it's the security system, the chip in my key wore out... it took me 2 hours on this site to find that information so i want EVERYONE to know not to make the same mistake as me.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why would someone suggest starter to you first?

good advice tho -- key chips are something that would rarely come to mind initially with a starting problem -- especially if it starts eventually
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a good trick to be sure that it is the starter (and to get home or to the auto parts store is) have somebody turn the key and try to start it, while you tap (pretty hard but not smashing it) with a hammer onto the starter its self (starts up every time)... deff better and cheaper then a tow and a pretty good way to tell it is the starter

ive helped many of people who ask for jumps thinking its the battery.. havnt found a hot one yet.. mostly middle aged moms who are out of their prime... i want one of those stories you read with the van full of chearleaders lol..
Old 06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The easy way to tell if the ignition key resistor pellet and the VATS system are causing the problem is to look at the dash - the security light will flash.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this problem before and so did my friend. Suxs *****
Old 06-23-2007, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

hmmmmmmmmm
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Teching In

So if the security light stays on all the time when the car is running and the ignition switch is a little messed up then i should get that replaced soon? everything works but when i put it to the accessories postion it pops back to off. Mechanic said it was the ignition switch itself, and have been needing to replace just have yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

According to the owner's manual:

If you're ever driving and the SECURITY light comes on and stays on, you will be able to restart your engine if you turn it off. Your PASS-Key II system, however, is not working properly and must be serviced by your dealer. Your vehicle is not protected by the PASS-Key II system.
So there probably is some problem with the ignition cylinder or other components of the VATS system. However, it could also be a simple case of the key and ignition cylinder contacts needing cleaning. Use some rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the resistor pellet of the key. Use some spray contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) to clean the contacts inside the ignition cylinder - just spray it in the key slot and wait for it to dry.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
According to the owner's manual:

So there probably is some problem with the ignition cylinder or other components of the VATS system. However, it could also be a simple case of the key and ignition cylinder contacts needing cleaning. Use some rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the resistor pellet of the key. Use some spray contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) to clean the contacts inside the ignition cylinder - just spray it in the key slot and wait for it to dry.
Is this something that happens often? My '88 GTA had a VATS key and I never had any problems with it (in fact, it saved my car the one time someone broke in and tried to steal it).

Just seems odd that any 4th Gen could be having a problem with it so soon.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
SCRWS6

Had this happen today, got it towed, but the tow truck guys wife has a pontiac(don`t know what) and he had gone through the same ****....