Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

? on wiring up speakers for more power

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default ? on wiring up speakers for more power

Okay I have a custom speaker box that I'm making for around the house and at work. I basically only have (2) 6 1/2" 4 way 200 watt speakers on the sides of the box - one on each side. But I have a 200 watt cd player 50x4. To wire this up. Would I just basically just run my left (+) front and rear together and my (-) front and rear together for one side speaker. Would that give me more power then just running my front (+) and front (-) and not using the other wires???
Old 06-24-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by detroit_903
Okay I have a custom speaker box that I'm making for around the house and at work. I basically only have (2) 6 1/2" 4 way 200 watt speakers on the sides of the box - one on each side. But I have a 200 watt cd player 50x4. To wire this up. Would I just basically just run my left (+) front and rear together and my (-) front and rear together for one side speaker. Would that give me more power then just running my front (+) and front (-) and not using the other wires???
No, that won't work. The small integrated circuit amps built into head units aren't intended for their channels to be combined, or "bridged". Also, you can take pretty much all manufacturers power ratings on head units and cut them in half for a realistic power output number. To wire those little boxes up, just use two outputs, the front L+R channels. dont use the other two if you dont have other speakers to hook up to them. make sure all your connections are solid as well (no shorting wires) If you really want more power to those speakers, I suggest you use an external amplifier.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6 1/2" speaker probably won't handle much more then 75-100 watts RMS. The Deck probably puts out about 15-20 watts RMS.

The only HU that I know of that allows for Bridging, are pioneer HU. But they only allow for the rear to be bridged and there is a filter applied for sub/mid-bass freq. So it won't work like you'd want it to work.