Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the purpose of a catch can

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what is the purpose of a catch can

does it help in anything and if it does how do u make on !
Old 06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

The LS1 had a crummy PCV system, it lets oil get sucked in throgh the PCV valve and into the intake manifold, that oil in the intake can cause engine knock, and also gums up your intake and throttle body.
The LS6 improved the PCV system to the valley pan in the engine, some folks upgrade to it.
Do a search, you can probably get instructions on how to make or install a catch can. I got one on Ebay for about 30 bucks. The better ones cost more, But mine works fine. It catches about about two tablespoons of oil every few thousand miles....
Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 AM
12 Second Club

You could even use the cheap plastic fuel filters if you wanted and just throw them away every time they fill up. I bought a glass screw off filter for a compressor or something and I just need some fittings to connect to the pvc line. Some cars need this mod more than others. My only reason for doing it eventually is to reduce the amount of times I need to do the seafoam treatment. My car is vey sensitive to any oil that get in there and likes to ping. I don't have a bad issue with it though, but less in there is always good.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident