Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Cinderella Story: The stripper that became the Corvette, & the world's priciest Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cinderella Story: The stripper that became the Corvette, & the world's priciest Z28

I've always been a Mustang guy, but my old man dreams of nothing but Corvettes. Has for as long as I can remember. He's was a tough SOB but he did the dad thing pretty damn well. Lost track of the number of times he passed on the chance to buy a vette (used of course) when I was growing up. There was always some trip he wanted to take us on, and more practical necessities that always stood stood between this steelworker and his dreams.

I've been telling him since I was about 6 that he shouldn't worry, since I'd buy him a Corvette when I grew up. When I decided to go off to grad school after college I realized it might be a few years before I made good on that promise, so I did the next best thing. Sold my 99 Mustang and went hunting for the cheapest LS1 car I could find. Took delivery of a black on black 2002 Z28 in October of 2001. I needed a stripper (only got $15 for the Stang, and grad school stipends don't go very far) and that's exactly what she was: Hurst shifter, leather steering wheel (w/controls), and rear defroster were the only three options on the Camaro. I had them wrap it in a red bow on the showroom floor, and then told my pops it was his: Heart and soul of his dream car, just a scrappier blue collar suit (and appropriately so). His reaction was one I'd only seen at his mother's funeral, and never again since. Needless to say, his "Corvette" had arrived, and her name was Z28.

5 years, dozens of hand washes and waxes, and a scant 19,000 miles later, little had changed. Once again I was driving a Mustang, and another graduation has just passed. But this time the Stang said GT on it, and the degree said Doctor. One week on the web and I'd found his newest toy, one more to turn my $24K Stang into a down payment (gotta love Clist), and one more for history to repeat itself.

And so the stripper with the Corvette heart finally became a silver C6 (not to mention the most expensive base Z28 ever sold and the only car I've ever "bought" twice!). And the 6 year old kid (now 28) finally made good on his promise, even if it took a few turns along the road.

As for Cinderella. Well, she came home with me.
Attached Thumbnails Cinderella Story: The stripper that became the Corvette, & the world's priciest Z28-test.jpg  
Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

that's heart warming man. very nice read
Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome. That is a great story! Your dad raised one hell of a good son!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM
12 Second Club

That Rocks!