Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so i have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i have a problem

But it isn't on my LS1. Maybe someone can still help me though. I wanted to post here because the Corolla forums don’t ever respond to me…

So I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla that has 135k miles on it and I have owned it for two years practically problem-free until the other day. I was sitting at a light the other day and the car just died. Nothing. Tried to charge it, tried to crank it, nothing. It just sounded like there was no gas at all. It would turn over but not crank. Anyway, yesterday we tried a number of tests. We unhooked the bottom end of the fuel filter (the end that goes to the gas tank) and turned the engine over. Gas came out of the line, so clearly the fuel pump was fine. We then hooked that line up and unhooked the top of the filter, gas came out there. So then we took off the distributor and found that to be the problem.

So we changed that and the car started fine. There were no gas leaks. But I went to drive it home and it was very sluggish and the 2nd light we stopped at it died. It wouldn’t even turn over. I let it sit for a second and it cranked up. It still drove sluggish. Got home and went and drove around and did some errands around the house and it drove perfectly normal like before…no problems or sputters at all. This morning I went to work in it and it died at the first light I stopped at. Same thing as before, so I knew the drill. It started up again, I went all the way into work and pulled into my parking spot. It idled very low and the check engine light came on but it was still running (just at a very low idle) and then I popped it in neutral and gave it a little gas and it got a little more life. Then I killed it because I was at work.

What the heck is going on? I don’t understand why it would be doing this if I replaced the one thing that caused it to totally die on me the other day. Anyone have an idea?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you replace the whole assembly?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only replaced the distributor. i didn't replace the cap or plugs or wires, etc. the car seems like it's not getting enough fuel. any ideas?

would a bad distributor actually cause the cap to go bad, or wires, or plugs?